Buying Fender pickups individually

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Hobbo, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

Hey all, I'm new to this forum - first post!. ....

I'm building a Tele project guitar and want to put in a (Neck) Fender Twisted Tele pickup and a (Bridge) Fender '51 Nocaster. BUT, I can only find these pickups to buy as sets.

The advice I'm looking for is - where can I buy these pickups individually? Besides ebay not that I have much against it! And preferably within the UK or EU to reduce shipping costs.

My other option of course is to buy both types of pickups as sets and sell on the spares.

This does seem to be a huge gap in Fender's market only selling pickups as sets if I'm correct.... Hopefully someone will prove me incorrect!

Thanks!

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hobbo likes this.
  3. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

4. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

UmmWat??? You're in UK? How the heck did I not notice that???

Well. For one thing we know that Fender clearly has been selling the bridge pickups separately. That wasn't the only one I found, and they were packed on single pickup boxes. So that's a plus :D

I don't think there's any other way of getting them at this point except second-hand. So Ebay, Gumtree... I didn't find any in Reverb. Put a classified here - maybe our fine fellows can help out :)

Hobbo likes this.
  5. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Am also in the UK and do tend to buy individual pickups in from the US - even new as the stores here are mainly selling sets only - usually from people like twilight guitars in ca - found them on ebay and its a reasonable starting point and not that outrageous in terms of cost

Hobbo likes this.
  6. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

That's great, thanks for the pointer!

7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi and welcome.

You probably already know this, but just in case, in the UK you have other options. Such as Bareknuckle - no direct experience, but I hear good things about them (I’m attracted to the Yardbird offering), and they offer both a ‘design your own’ option and the cheaper Bootcamp range. I know some at least can be bought individually.

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

You can also search for Mojo pickups and House of Tone.

Pax/
    Dean

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Good pickup combination choice - perhaps you're aware of Anderton's Custom Relic Teles that were ordered with that exact combination of pickups and LOVED by Danish Pete?

The Anderton's video, with Danish Pete, on those customs demonstrates that those pickups, in those light-weight ash guitars, sound awesome!

I keep thinking I need to try that same pickup combination in one of my Teles.

This is just how Anderton's is ordering them in: lightweight ash body, quarter-sawn maple neck, Twisted Tele neck pickup and '51 Nocaster bridge pickup:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...m-shop-50s-tele-hvy-rel-rw-taos-turq-gbi18-21

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to add this but the Twister Tele neck pickup came in two different versions.
    One is a custom shop pickup, is the original, initially came in the Baja, and is considered better.
    The other was sold in a plastic bag and from what I've read in numerous different places, is not the same.
    I'm not sure what is in production now but plenty of old stock is still for sale.

Is there a specific reason you want the Nocaster bridge pickup and don't want the TT set? You might try the set, and if the TT bridge pickup is too powerful you could swap it for a nocaster bridge later.
    I've wanted to pick up a TT neck pickup but don't want the bagged one that's different, and used it can be hard to tell which one you're buying.
    The three wires color seem to differentiate them but even that seems unclear over the production runs.

DHart likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

telemnemonics... what is it about the CS version that makes some feel it is 'better'?

Have you tested both types - it would be great if you have!

This may help differentiate between the two available (MIM and CS):

There are two types of Fender Twisted Tele pickups for the neck position: one with a green wire, used on the Baja Telecaster made in Mexico, and another with a white wire used in the Custom Shop.

On ebay, some guys are selling the Mexican-made version as being the original one from the Custom Shop.

I don't personally know what the difference is between the MIM version and the CS version. But some feel that there may be a difference in tone between them. o_O Gotta wonder what the difference would be to make the CS version 'better'.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t know what sound difference there is but have read that players noticed their new TT pickup didn’t sound like their other TT and then noticed the different appearance.
    This after the MIM Baja put the TT neck pickup on the map as being great, so I think players were fine with it being MIM when that was the only way to get it, buy the MIM Baja.
    Fender didn’t sell it at first.
    Not sure if it being a CS pickup was as important as the sound.
    But this is old history and none of it is first hand.
    Lots of other sources for the stratty Tele neck pickup these days so it’s less of an issue.

It’s funny, Fender came out with the new V mod Jazzmaster pickups that sound stratty and players ***** and complain about the stratty tone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

As far as I know, Fender used the CS Twisted Tele and Broadcaster bridge pickups in the 2012 - 2014, or so, American Standard Teles. It seems that most people really loved them. I have a used set (pulled from an American Standard Tele) in-bound, so I'm looking forward to hearing them in my guitar(s).

13. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Find a local hand winder. Might cost less and be better! Loads of great winders in the UK for certain.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I guess the OP has done the usual rounds to all the dealers in the UK?

15. VintageGearMan

VintageGearMan TDPRI Member

Hey man, I just want to say thats a great choice, I have exactly that, I ordered both sets so now Im left with a weird nocaster neck and twisted bridge set, looks like a build is on its way... But boy does it sound good that combination... I would not change my opinion about the set, its so unique and the middle position is glorious. I did buy both sets and yes, its expensive, but its so worth it ;)

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.