Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Butterscotch/Maple front P/U no height screws

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MuddyWolf, May 17, 2017.

1. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    So im adjusting PU height on my new GC affinty squier and i see that the neck PU has no height screws. Whats up with that?

2. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    They are underneath the pickguard. Other than loosening the strings and removing the pickguard and messing with the pickup height by trial and error which is a pain in the ass you have few options.

First is removing the pickguard and using the existing rubber and/or spring and pickup screws to mount the pickup to the pickguard after drilling two appropriate sized (small diameter) holes for the pickup height adjustment screws. The way to do it is drill from behind/underneath, lay the pickup in the hole and use a drill bit to drill a pilot hole through the screw hole of the pickup and into/through pickguard. In this manner you are using the threaded hole in the pickup mounting "wing" as a guide but you must be careful to avoid damaging the threads. Test fit the pickup height adjustment screw, drill larger holes if necessary.

Second you can drill holes large enough for a small phillips-head screwdriver in the pickguard over the existing pickup height adjustment screws when you want to adjust the neck pickup's height drop a phillips head in the hole and adjust it that way.

Third you can purchase a new pickguard ie. one already drilled with holes for neck pickup adjustment height screws, mount your pickup and install in on your Tele body. Be forewarned the mounting screw hole pattern no matter what a seller tells you is almost guaranteed not to match the existing pattern so you will have to drill new pickguard mounting holes.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    You shouldn't need to loosen the strings to remove the pickguard. Take out all the pickguard screws and slide the pickguard out. Adjust the pickup to where you like it and put the pickguard back on. This is how Telecasters were originally made and many people prefer the pickup mounted to the body.

DonM and chiefline like this.

4. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

Thanks for posting that, I forgot with the pickup mounted to the body all you need do is remove the pickguard.

I guess being around more "modern" Telecasters has screwed me up but it's a hell of a lot faster adjusting pickup height when the screws are accessible above the pickguard plus the likelyhood of losing a screw in the carpet is nonexistent

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    chiefline likes this.

5. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Just my observation. This only works on a 21 fret neck. If it's 22 fret, it's a pita to get on or off.

Lead2Fan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.