Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

butchered tele`

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by peregrine64, Mar 21, 2003.

1. peregrine64

peregrine64 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 21, 2003
    hi , i`m new on the forum and also new to the telecaster.i recently picked up a tele in a mandolin trade and it seemed beauty was only skin deep. someone had tried to put a "dual rocker" whammy bar system with locking nut on the guitar. after hopelessy trying to tune it, i just dismantled the entire guitar and found out that they used an axe to install it.it is a truly butchered job and there is no way this guitar would ever tune in that condition.
    i am going to replace the system with an original bridge if i can find one and if the gaping crater isn`t too big to mount it.
    can anyone tell me if the strings are strung through the body or is there a tailpiece with the bridge.
    also, can anyone tell me the exact measurement from nut to bridge location( or approx saddle location).
    i plan to rebuild and refinish this guitar but just need a few pointers(not for the re-finishing...i already do that for a living).
    i would appreciate any good advice.
    thanks..........rob.

2. Phil Jacoby

Phil Jacoby Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Rob,
    Please post a pic. Your question begs more detail to answer.
    Phil

3. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2003
    skull island
    say PHIL..

sounds like your deluxe reverb
    done with the construction yet?
    tom

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    East Suffolk L.I.
    Quick suggestion

You might be better off with a replacement body than filling "craters". The body would be worthless anyway, even if vintage. Bodies are sold by Fender and after-market manufacturers like Warmoth and USA Custom. They come with all the holes drilled and ready to finish or completely finished. Just attatch your neck, electronics, bridge, string ferrules (if you want string-thru) and pickguard. It's truly an easy, bolt-on operation. I would suggest a swamp ash body, natural or aged clear finish, vintage bridge (string-thru), and a 1-ply black pickguard, but that's just me.

5. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    East Suffolk L.I.
    Nuts!

Sorry, forgot to suggest replacing the nut with a bone one. The scale for a telecaster is 25.5".

6. jetlag

jetlag TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2003
    great nw
    A skilled cabinetmaker could

probably repair that body quite nicely. We've all seen at one time or another vintage guitars that had repairs done to correct a previous indiscretion. Like old tele's which had been routed for 'buckers and floyds. Since the repair work can usually be hid under the pickguard and bridge, no one besides you need know. It may or may not be cheaper to replace it than fix it. If it's a really old guitar (50's through mid 60's) you'd probably want to repair it. If it's fairly new, you very well might be better off with a minty new one.

How about some pix and other info...

7. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

I LOVE this kind of peoject!

This is the type of project that I would use to hone my woodworking skills. One direction would be to fill the offending holes with wood and epoxy filler and put a traditional Tele bridge on the thing. Setting the scale length (25.5 in.) won't be too much trouble, and drilling the holes for the string-through bridge is relatively easy if you have a drill press. The key seems to be filling in those holes. You might be able to hide most of the damage with a Tele bridge - they're pretty good size. You can also get a top-loading bridge that anchors the strings on the back of the bridge with no string-through. That would be even easier.

The extent you go with this guitar might depend on what model Tele it is, what year it is, and how accurate you want it to be. After you get a bit more info to us and maybe a couple pictures, we can be more accurate and helpful. Or if you live in a larger city, you could perhaps have one of the TDPRIers take a look at it and recommend something.

At any rate, it sounds like a doable project that will ultimately give a good Tele.

Have fun with it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.