Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

But they never had that option?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by grim83, Jul 17, 2017.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    While day dreaming instead of working a thought occurred to me about modelling amps. If you have an amp model of say a Tweed champ and the modelling software (at least on the mustangs) gives you the ability to change the eq settings but the original in this instance only had a volume knob how would you set the base line eq? Would you just dial it up to 5 across the board or would you try to match the original tone stacks setting as much as possible? And now I have overcomplicated the whole thing and made my brain hurt...

mnutz likes this.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I don't care at all about details like that. If it sounds good to me, that's all that matters. Midrange control on a Deluxe Reverb model? BONUS!!!

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

3. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I agree, I was just thinking if you were trying to toy with the amp model and wanted it true to the "sound" (if there is such a thing) of a given amp how would you set the controls for the baseline

4. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    bass 4
    mids 7
    treble 5
    presence 8

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I would try to match the original tone stack settings close as possible.

6. FattoneTele

FattoneTele Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Jena, LA
    All on ten I'd think since eq pots just lower the level from original input. Thus all on 10 being an unaltered all-guitar sound.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Might could hook up a Mic Mixer with EQ between the output and the speaker or if your amp has a Line Out with shut that bypasses the output.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I just twist knobs until it sounds best to me.

There have been times I'd use some benchmark sound and tweak as close as possible to that sound, but I've found that doesn't always work the best as far as coming up with the best sound you can get, especially when it comes to a live context.

There's really no point in putting in a whole lotta time on a preset before you've tried it live, IMO. I've dialed up sounds that sounded awesome by themselves, and either disappeared or sounded like crap once the bass and cymbals kick in

StrangerNY likes this.

9. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2006
    Norwich, UK

10. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2006
    Norwich, UK
    What about the" Fender Magic 6" setting - reckoned by many to be the easy quick set up for good Fender live stage tone, and certainly a good starting point - . Volume to 6, Treble to 6, Middle to 3 and Bass to 2 (6, 6, and 3x2=6). Bright should be on, reverb set for two and master volume (if one) set so that you can be heard above the drums without drenching the vocals."

11. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    This is why I test my "live" presets with a drum machine or the MP3 cover through aux in before going to town with it. It isn't perfect but you'll catch obvious preset issues that way.

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I don't know about others, but Line 6 has tried to faithfully reproduce the controls on the amp... you set them similar to how you would the real thing. If the amp model in question only had a TONE knob... the treble is that TONE. The Middle and Bass become extra's. Set them at half for the natural sound.... adjust as desired. On a DELUXE the Bass/Treble work as they did on the amp, the middle is the extra.

In the end, it doesn't matter how a company sets up their modelers... THIS is the best approach to getting a tone that works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.