Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Busting out the V this week.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Sep 12, 2017.

1. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I've always wanted a V thanks to one of my heroes, Jim James. Unfortunately, I'm not in an awesome rock band and its not exactly my typical style.

[​IMG]

savofenno and Jakedog like this.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Jim James is part of what opened my eyes to Vs a long time ago. And the Stones. Keith and Ronnie both have one. Great Americana guitars. Bridge is downright twangy. More than my SG and way more than my LP. No idea why.

savofenno, Jakedog and PearlJamNoCode like this.

3. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Weird side note. Vs are the only Gibsons where I like the silver tuning keys. On all others they look big and ponderous to me. Much prefer the greenish plastic ones. But the metal ines look very balanced and proportionate against the shape and scale of the V headstock, to me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    GS,

1. That's a very cool (unique) V
    2. I would absolutely love to hear you playing and singing a Dead set or whole show - that would be so cool.

John

Jakedog likes this.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I am having a totally unexpected love affair with a V.
    Duncan 59 at the neck, Pearly Gates at the bridge.

6. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Am I a thread killer?

Jakedog likes this.

7. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I came close to buying a Epiphone 58 Korina Flying V reissue but was beaten at the last minute. Has anyone spent much time with one? Are they worth pursuing? Or should it be Gibson all the way?

PearlJamNoCode and Jakedog like this.

8. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    You'll get 50/50 responses.

I've never picked up a modern Epi that was in the same league as the co parable Gibson model. Not even close (even when the prices are closer than you'd think). Other people sing modern Epi's praises.

9. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The V weenies complain about them...little differences in shape compared to the original...some other stuff.
    I've never played one but have been curious.
    I'm thinking that the string-through thing might make a difference.
    I've missed a couple, too...I think a $300 one would be mine.

Jakedog likes this.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but the older MIK korina Epi V's and Explorers are the only Epi's I'd ever willingly spend money on. I think they're actually very decent guitars. The pickups are the weak spot to me. Pretty muddy and lifeless. But that's an easy fix. The guitars themselves are pretty sweet. I've never come across a bad one. If I came across an Epi MIk V for the right money, an electronics swap and a bone nut would put it in the giggable camp for me.

If you want American on a budget, the faded V's from the early 00's are great guitars. Again, pickup swap needed (for me) as the pickups that came in them are wicked hot. The ceramic 500T in the bridge is particularly hard for me to get along with. But the build and playability is great on these if you don't need a fancy finish.

Southpole likes this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I agree w Jakedog on the faded series- I have one and switched out the pickups for two PAF wind humbuckers and now love it.

Jakedog likes this.

12. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    IMG_1419.JPG I always want a separate volume and tone for each pickup so i modded mine

Jakedog likes this.

13. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Well I'll tell you, I did a lot of searching for my first V and finally ended up getting a Epi 58 Flying V and couldn't be happier! My thing is that I really wanted a vintage style V that is affordable and the Epi 58 is the only one that I could find. I actually dig the stock pups, low to medium output Alnico humbuckers.

Best of luck in your search!

savofenno and Southpole like this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Korina Flying-V

IMG_1864.JPG

I hear good things about these...not crazy about the gold hardware, though

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

OK, now I'm thinking I have to bust out my V for my next gig on October 17th. It's a swanky fundraiser/mixer for a university where we're supposed to play kind
    of quiet so people can talk. Perfect setting for my faded V, right? ;-)

upload_2017-9-27_12-37-29.jpeg

Jakedog and waparker4 like this.

16. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Mine will appear at tomorrow's grand opening party for a new large corporate HQ building in town.

Jakedog and Southpole like this.

17. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Fun show.
    IMG_1510.JPG IMG_1512.JPG
    Big crowd. Indoor, daytime shows are weird though. So bright. No "hiding".

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    savofenno and Southpole like this.

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Bet that sounded great. Nice setup!

MilwMark likes this.

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

We just got back from a Joe Bonamassa show. He played several songs on a Flying V (might've been two different ones). I'd never heard one in person. It had its own very distinctive sound, kind of like the beautiful woman whose voice is just a little bit low. . . . I dug it.

savofenno likes this.

20. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Sadly, another V bit the dust today. I fell in love with this beauty.

C6E888E3-1EC8-41C9-A8B9-787E3BF22620.jpeg

8lbs even with the Bigsby. Loaded with Seth Lovers. Great neck. Somewhere between 50s and 60s with a C shape. Plays like a dream. The top is gorgeous but not over-the-top flamed. Can get bright (I like that in an LP). Fit, finish and playability are right up there with the Gibson Historics I’ve picked up (and put right back down) for a fraction of the price).

I swore no more guitars, so the V had to go. Along with my 60s Tribute LP. I liked the V way more than I expected. But it was a bit of a novelty guitar for me. SGs and LPs are more like workhorses for me. Three electrics will be plenty.

richiek65 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.