Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

'Burst finish question

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by shades, Dec 27, 2008.

1. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Question for the finish gurus here at the TDPRI...when applying a two-tone sunburst finish, do you apply the outer (dark) color from the inside of the body towards the outer edge or from the outer edge towards the inside?

I have an Esquire build that I'm working on and want to ratchet up my confidence to do a two-tone burst. Thanks in advance!

:cool:

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    add

Yes, I always spray across the body to the far side. It makes it MUCH easier to control the amount of burst. The only thing you gotta watch out for is that you gun or spray can doesn't drip into the middle of the body.

Some people (I've heard but haven't tried) use a cardboard cutout of the body, only a bit smaller elevated above the body to allow the burst paint to float underneath.

3. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've used the cardboard cutout and it has worked well for me. You can contorl how far into the body the burst comes by the height of the cardboard above the body.

4. crowenor

crowenor Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2008
    Norfolk VA
    The cardboard cutout is the way to go. Elevate it with some tacks in the middle section. You can control how much burst that is applied.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.