Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Burns pups/Brian May switching?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat62, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of doing this for my next project- http://www.guitarfetish.com/BHM-Style-Wiring-Kits_c_226.html http://www.guitarfetish.com/Brighto...lnico-Pickups-Classic-Queen-sound_p_1514.htmlhttp://www.guitarfetish.com/Brighton-Rock-Vintage-Correct-65K-Pickup-set-of-three_p_1520.html Has anyone here tried this, or have any experience with a guitar set up this way? I'm curious as to whether the BMH switching is worth it, or would I be better off with a 5-way and push/pulls for the series/parallel?

2. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Nice! All the parts ready to go.

I did a strat with three dpdt switches (no sliders) and strat P/Us, but the wired and loaded guard has been hanging on my wall for some time now -- nice variation on a theme but I still like the traditional strat sound.

3. MIKE RICHARDSON

MIKE RICHARDSON TDPRI Member

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

6. Harrysong

Harrysong TDPRI Member

Yes, it is a great modification. In fact I recently fitted a set on the Burns Mini Tri-Sonics (as described in the above post) in my friends daughters Squier Strat along with the 6 mini DPDT toggle switches. We replaced the original pick guard with a blank so as to be able to fit the switches without the 5 way switch holes being left there (but you don't have to of course).
    You can see the simple Youtube demo I did to show the possible Brian May type sounds available by switching the pick-ups in and out of phase. (The pick-ups are wired in series as Brian May's).
    I'm using a Vox Pathfinder and a treble booster for the demonstration:

http://youtu.be/OytwUoICFpI

We got the Burns Mini Tri-Sonics from www.adeson.co.uk
    They may not be listed on his website but shoot him a mail as he may still have some in stock.

7. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

If memory serves, the red special has hollow pockets... Could a thinline be modified? (I don't know, I'm asking...)

8. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys for all the links, diagrams and vids! Plenty of leads to follow now. I wasn't aware that the real Trisonics were still available-are there any US dealers? ** Nevermind-I found them! Thanks!

9. Harrysong

Harrysong TDPRI Member

Yes, the original Red Special is virtually hollow.
    An X-Ray of the original Red Special shows you quite well:

Attached Files:

10. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Brilliant picture, isn't t? Sounds like a great thinline mod ( if I had a thinline and the skills)

11. Harrysong

Harrysong TDPRI Member

Yes, it's a great detailed X-Ray.
    I built my own replica of this guitar back in 1996.
    The cavities really help this guitar resonate.
    The series wiring of the Tri-Sonic pick-ups gives a very wholesome sound but also some amazing out of phase high pitched screech type tones that are typical of Brian May's tone.

When you consider that the guitar was built back in 1964 with it's frictionless single knife edge tremolo system (no locking nuts/tuners) and roller bridge, it was probably the blue print of the modern rock guitar!

One of the sweetest rock tones I know of.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

It's a brilliant piece of work. And never been refretted, apparently.

13. Harrysong

Harrysong TDPRI Member

That's correct, it hasn't been re-fretted although the frets are now very low.
    The zero fret has been replaced though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.