Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Burncaster build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Patrickrussell2, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

This but nickel instead of chrome... Nickel tends to age beautifully with use...

2. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Sorry for the delay! Life got a little crazy. I was in a pretty nasty car wreck this week and haven't felt up to doing much. But with the weekend here I got a lot done!

I'm up to 9-11 coats of tru oil. I plan on doing 4 more roughly before the weekend is up and then let it dry for a couple days.

The I'll try and level things out a bit and see where I'm at. Parts have slowly started arriving and once I have a pile that looks more impressive than an output jack I'll show you something!

Switched to coffee filters with a paper towel wadded up inside rather than t shirt material.

Way better.

[​IMG]

Realized I had never shown the back
    [​IMG]

3. Quake-caster

Quake-caster Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2011
    Central VA
    Sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad you are doing ok.

Guitar looks fantastic!

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Glad you were not hurt.

5. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2010
    New Zealand
    Any progress with this?

6. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Small update at this point!

Finishing the body has been an interesting process. I got 12 coats on and just wasn't happy with it. I didn't notice that small fuzzes were getting in the mix and I was applying the tru oil too thick.

So I grabbed some mineral spirits, some 1200 sandpaper and gently leveled everything. Essentially at that point I was left with a level guitar with all of the dips from the blowtorch filled in. (a plus) I did a couple more coats but realized that I would never get it "fuzz free" with my German shepherd running around kicking up dust and hair.

I sanded back those couple layers, moved the project to the garage with a heater and changed my plan. Very light coats, french polish style...

Now we are talking!

[​IMG]

As for the hardware most of it is in! I went gold. I'll likely upgrade the bridge to a hipshot compensated at some point but for now this Wilkinson one will do.

Warmoth is going to be my neck purchase and I've decided to go with rosewood fretboard and gold fretwire to tie everything together. Once the body starts the curing process I'll purchase the neck and everything should go fairly quickly from there.

[​IMG]

7. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

That is a lovely guitar body. I saw the pickup cover in your picture of the gold accessories, and wanted to say that, when I mentioned to him that I might switch out the lipstick cover on my neck pickup--I wanted to use a black one--Don Mare became alarmed; I think he said the change process might ruin the wax "potting". I left the cover alone.

You might check on that (I don't know any more about it) before you change the covers. Does Fender sell a set that already has the gold cover?

9. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    I more or less got that cover to keep it as an option. But I hadn't fully looked into the process (I planned on it though) :)

The pickups were an accidental order and are still on hold as to whether they go in or not.

I may end up ordering some bareknuckles if funds permit.

10. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2007
    anderson, indiana
    Beautiful... I can't wait to see it finished !!

11. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

Mar 2, 2012
    Australia
    looking great!! subscibed!!

12. hockeydoc

hockeydoc TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Ohio
    This has to be one of my favorite builds so far. I just bought a spruce body from Clear Fork last week and have been seeking advice on how to get the really cool grain pattern to stand out behind a transparent sunburst, but I never even considered toasting it first. Brilliant! I can't wait to see your finished guitar. I especially like the way the dark edges make it seem like there's dark binding on the body.
    I just went out and bought a scrap piece of pine on which to practice the burn. Now if the temperature will just go above zero and it'll stop snowing, maybe I can have some pyromaniacal fun outside...

13. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Very cool build. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    this guitar is just crapping all over my expectations. when i think burncasters... i usually expect over the top relics and rusty hardware. but a clear gloss finish and gold hardware?! didn't see that coming at all! i usually hate gold hardware... but i'm really excited about this one...

15. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Thank you Joe.

Believe me. This is so off of what I planned to build I'm I bit taken for a loop.

With that said I'm just about done with truoil. It'll be down to cure for a few weeks.

Meanwhile.... Matching pedalboard?

[​IMG]

16. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    yes!! i was just about to build a board for a buddy... i never would've thought to flame it. definitely stealing that idea now too :D

17. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Do it! Just get a practice board and do all sanding first! Seriously.

You pretty much can't sand after you burn or you scrape off the burn. I had to to remove little sap dots but I did it with a tiny piece stuck to a pencils' eraser and only hit the spot.

I shellacked 3 coats before I reached for the tru oil.

18. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Rumor has it I'm placing a neck order tonight.

19. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    The rumors were true!!!

Style: Telecaster®
    Construction: Warmoth Pro Construction
    Orientation: Right Handed
    Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood
    Nut Width: 1-11/16"
    Back Shape: Standard thin
    Fret Size: GD6150 (Gold Color)
    Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64" 11/32")
    Radius: 10-16" Compound
    Scale: 25-1/2"
    Fret #: 22
    Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
    Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
    Inlays: Cream Face Dots
    Side Dots: White Side Dots
    Finish: No Finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    With the neck on the way.....

Burn
    [​IMG]

Baby
    [​IMG]

Burn
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.