Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Burncaster build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Patrickrussell2, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Patrickrussell2

Patrickrussell2 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    First parts-caster build. I've set a budget of $250; more for the challenge than needing to. Because of the low budget in going to have to be creative with making things myself. Knobs, pickguard a etc. The plan is to have it done between February and April.

Build theme is a barncaster that went through a fire. Let's see how it goes.

The body came from an eBay seller (who I've seen post here)

"Clear Fork Designs"

TOTAL SPENT
    Body: $60
    Bridge: $24
    Pots and switches: $12

Got it for a great price and after some ironing and sanding it's looking great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

2. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Decided to burn the body with a blowtorch. First decided to test the process on some test pieces.

Let the trials commence!

Blowtorch and one pass of tru oil.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

3. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Trials are complete! I'm feeling brave.

[​IMG]

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    i've tried this with very mixed results. your samples look great though. looking forward to the finished product here

5. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Alright! So burn done!

There is definately some technique to this. First you have to treat it like spray paint. If you start a pass you need to finish it off the guitar. Don't make the mistake of ever stopping and going backwards. It takes a good amount of discipline. Second figure out a burn level and try to get it in one or two passes. I tried a slow burn and the effect after shellac just didn't look right. Third you can sand small areas after the burn to even things out.

Burn
    [​IMG]

Didn't see this coming. I fixed it with some 400 grit and sanding right on the spots. It took a couple hours but well worth it. I also burned in fingerprints and Palm prints. Sandpaper again fixed those.
    [​IMG]

Shellac and one coat of true oil later....
    [​IMG]

The next phase will include more tru oil but while that goes on I'll be working on knobs and other parts.

6. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    That is the nicest burned guitar I have ever seen. Normally, I don't much care for them, but yours is spectacular - well done!

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Wow, looks much better than I expected!

8. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    Thanks. It was quite the experience. I did something like 12 practice runs before going for it. You guys just saw a couple weeks of work in a couple minutes. My first practice runs were horrible.

Humorously. I only burned it because I was afraid to stain it. I for some reason figured this would be safer...

Just a big sigh of relief over here.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Man, you picked the right piece of wood to do this on! That looks awesome!

10. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Looks great, excellent job.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Very cool looking body. Tell me it's getting a rosewood or ebony fretboard :) !!

12. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Aug 16, 2013
    Oak Park, IL
    I would never have thought to try this myself, it looks great. Can't wait to see it assembled.

-H

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

wooo, trippy... those knots really stand out now....

looks good..:)

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    holy crap that came out great!! i'll give you $70 for it and you can make a nice profit :D

15. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2014
    Canton, MA
    I've been thinking about a look for a partscaster and this is about as close as I've seen to the base layer I'd want to start with. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.

16. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Best looking burn job I've seen in a while!

17. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Interesting. I have to hand it to you, it came out looking good. I suppose there will be no pickguard on this one.

18. Patrickrussell2

Oct 29, 2014
    St helens
    I had considered a pickguard originally.

I had actually planned on doing the license plate thing but the body turned out too "nice" for the rusted license plate I got. I'm skilled with photoshop so I'll be photoshopping pickguards, necks and parts to find something that is cohesive.

19. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Whoa! Now that's one way to "stain" it. I'll just repeat what they rest have said, best looking burn I've seen yet! (note to self---> burn your next Spruce body ;)

No pickguard, why on earth would you cover any part of that? You did some outstanding work!

20. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    That looks F-in cool.

I may just have to copy this for my next build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.