Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Burgers by Hot Tuna

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Sep 26, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    As a Jefferson Airplane fan, I bought my copy of Paul Kantner's Blows Against The Empire, and also a copy of Burgers, by Hot Tuna. The only tracks in this album that bear some resemblance to The Airplane are Sea Child, and to a lesser degree, Ode For Billy Dean and Sunny Day Strut. The rest is a very different brand of music, focused on Blues and Folk, but I really like it. Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen really work well together.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    brbadg, Honest Charley, DonM and 2 others like this.

2. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    I've seen Hot Tuna twice in recent years at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass fest in San Francisco and they were great! My wife, however, strongly disagrees with my assessment. We're going to be there again this year and so will Hot Tuna. I'm hoping we'll get to see the perform. Depends on how much she complains about it...ha

TeleAndSG likes this.

3. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Don't miss Hot Tuna if they come around. I saw them several years ago in a small venue and they killed it. Barry Mittendorf was with them on electric mando and tenor guitar. They played an hour and a half acoustic set, and an hour and half electric set. Great stuff all the way.

There is magic between these two. From what I understand, there was so much of a power struggle in JA, these guys split after they did some gigs together. I'm sorry to say "Burgers" is not a great record to me. It's a good one though. Hot Tuna is terrific. Love Jorma and Jack.

TeleAndSG likes this.

4. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I will if the come to GA. By the way: ego struggles that disintegrate great bands?. Where have I heard that before? :D

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Water Song!

Great album. Kaukonen and Cassidy have an undeniable chemistry, which is what makes them so enjoyable.
    Seeing them live back in the 90's was a real experience. The chemistry comes through in a very palpable way.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Larry F and brookdalebill like this.

6. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Not only in Hot Tuna, but in the Airplane as well. "Spare Chaynge", from After Bathing at Baxter's, is frequently considered a filler, but for me is a terrific psychedelic jam by Kaukonen, Casady and Spencer Dryden. It's very difficult for me to pick who stands out in that track. Kaukonen's solos have a lot of soul, and Casady plays his bass like a guitarist (without a pick!).

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Back when I was playing a ton (around '82-83), I had a really good friend in the ski town I was living in who was completely obsessed with Jorma's style. He was teaching himself to fingerpick in that style and actually got incredibly good at it. He and I used to jam on electric all the time. He was a much better rhythm player than I was, but he really dug how I played lead (which I frankly never understood), so he put up with my mediocre rhythm playing. I really wasn't that up on Jorma or Tuna at the time, but he got me into them and I've continued to really like them over the years. That guy put a band together for the ski company's big blowout party at the end of the season with he and I on guitar, a drummer and bass player, and my apartment mate (and also partner in a pretty regularly playing duo) singing and playing harp. He played a set of Jorma stuff solo on acoustic, but as good as it was, it wasn't really party material. Then the rest of us joined him onstage and the party commenced. It was the most fun gig I ever played. We all worked on the slopes so we knew pretty much everyone there. And everybody was boogying their asses off. All these people who knew us but didn't know we played treated us a lot differently after that night. Just a lot of boogie blues - too much fun. Definitely one of the highlights of my playing years...

TeleAndSG likes this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yup!
    Beat me to it!
    Love Water Song.
    I agonized over it as a freshman in high school.
    I did not know it was in a tuning.
    Doh!

Larry F and TeleAndSG like this.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hot Tuna, Jorma and Jack, great stuff I haven't heard in years!
    I've seen Blows Against the Empire in a flea market a few times and almost bought it just to look back.
    I learned to play pretty much off Jorma and of course over his shoulder the Rev Gary Davis.
    But add in Jack and what a phenomenon.
    I'm just not there any more but would love to hear them on vinyl through big speakers again.
    I do have a few scratched copies of The Worst of JA.

TeleAndSG likes this.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    There was a festival in San Jose years ago with the Airplane and Jimi Hendrix among others. There was a free festival at a park across the street from the venue with a bunch of local bands. After their set at the festival, the Airplaner came over and played the free one. The PA went down so Jorma, Paul, Jack and Spencer just started jamming and it was one of the best jams by a rock band I've heard to this day. The Dead had nothing on them that night. They got the PA back up and ran through a bunch of new songs from an as yet unreleased "Volunteers."

I got to see Hot Tuna a lot back then. The quartet with Papa john was my favorite line up. We met them after a show in Stockton, CA one night and talked a lot to Papa John and Jack. As they say, "If you don't know Jorma, you don't know Jack."

BTW, Does anyone know what the car on the cover of the Burgers album is? I was just thinking of it this morning. I saw it driving around San Francisco a few times back then.

A couple of years ago, Hot Tuna played at a place up the canyon from Fort Collins. The stage is right next to the river. At the end of soundcheck the sound guy asked them if they needed anything else and Jorma said, "Can I get less river in the monitors?"

TeleAndSG likes this.

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That had to be freaking brutal. It's difficult even with the correct tuning.

12. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Although there are an untold number of great album covers, cover that are art, Burgers cover is special. It really captures the light, vibe and feel of the California bay area. Not Just San Francisco, but down to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and Monterrey. As well as north of SF to San Rafael. Not just a beautiful car, but a beautiful sunset by the ocean. I'm not from there, but I visited out there a lot many years ago. Beautiful area.

Obsessed and TeleAndSG like this.

13. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Which HT album would you say is great?

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    The first one, the live acoustic album with Will Scarlet on harmonica is a must own.

TeleAndSG, Dan R and Dean James like this.

15. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Absolutely, I was just listening to this at work today, an incredible album.

TeleAndSG likes this.

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah, Water Song. What an original, fresh sound that had.

TeleAndSG and brookdalebill like this.

17. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    I wore out my "live at sweetwater' LP when it first came out. IMHO, that's superb 'classic' Hot Tuna -- later stuff doesn't compare!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    TeleAndSG likes this.

18. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Good album, I used to have it. I've liked Hot Tuna since I first heard the live version of Hesitation Blues.

TeleAndSG likes this.

19. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Jorma...335 into an Ampeg Scrambler

TeleAndSG likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.