Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bullet thoughts

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jdolecek48, Nov 9, 2018.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I have been looking closely at the squire bullet strat HT guitar. What are your thoughts? I read some critisicr about how people don't like the bullet guitars because of ceramic pickups I don't know much about pick up so that's why I thought I would ask you could people.on those HT guitars the paint looks badass but then again how s guitar looks will not affect the sound.....I used to be a metal guy but before I put the guitar down before I got disabled I was playing a lot of blues stuff so that's why I'm leaning towards a strat anyway to let me know what you guys think

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    HT ? Not sure what that means but I love my Bullet Strat HSS. I ordered some Guitar Madness pickups to replace the stock ones. I still haven’t replaced them. They aren’t that bad, the Buck r Bridge is a little hot for my taste but not so much so that I really care :)

It is my favorite guitar neck that I own. It isn’t pretty or flashy but it is satiny smooth on the back and glassy smooth on the fretboard.

If HT means hard tail ? That would be ok too I think :)

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    People have an issue with ceramic pickups simply because they're ceramic pickups. Not based on tone, but because they have "ceramic" in the name. There is nothing wrong with them.

4. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Bullets can be great for the price. There is nothing wrong with the ceramic pickups, though I have seen bullets with pickups that were hit and miss with me. My old number 1 strat used to have the neck and middle pickup from a bullet. They can be quite usable.

I personally have 2 complaints about the bullets though. The tuners on them are not great and there is no drop in replacement for them. Wouldn't hurt to ream them holes or have a tech do it and upgrade them with something else. The other complaint is with the hard tail version. Since the strings load through the back of the bridge, sometimes, strings will lift the saddles off the bridge and cause problems. If this happens, guitar fetish offers a cheap replacement bridge with offset saddles that will remove that problem and it also drops right in. I'll link it in a moment.

EDIT: Here is the link to the bridge.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Top-Mount-Hardtail-bridge-Fits-Telesreg-Squierreg-51-Chrome_p_759.html

jdolecek48 likes this.
  5. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You probably want to play a Bullet and at least check out the neck width at the nut. They are pretty small, even for somebody with average sized hands. I own 3 built in the 2000s and all are like this, measuring about 1.58". I have some 80s Korean and Japanese ones that have somewhat wider nuts, closer to 1.68". It seems like a small difference, but it definitely noticeable when playing.

Pickups can be readily upgraded later, neck width, not so much!

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I have a 2010 Chinese made Bullet Strat SSS and can't fault it. I've no complaints about the sound of the pickups, sound fine to me. I have done a personal "sit down in a music store and play it and a $5000 (Australian Dollars) Fender Strat through a Deluxe Reverb" and could not pick any real diference in the sound. I actually prefer the Bullet to play as it's neck suits my hands better. The only mods I have done to the Bullet are: lined the cavities and pickguard with foil which did quieten it; decked the bridge, I don't use the Tremelo at all anyway.

7. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    With the tuners in mind, saying they are not the greatest does that mean it has trouble staying in tune?

8. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Mine has no trouble staying in tune.

9. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    Would I be better off getting an esp m50? I just want to get the best buy for my purchase. Since I'm disabled I can't go try anything g out so I have to go on reviews and your opinions to make the best choice....I either have to buy new or go to guitar centers used site and purchase from there.....but then I have to pay for shipping but sadly I can't afford a setup so I might have to order used and hope it's setup.

10. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I've had 3 bullets in my time. 2 of them tuned fine. One was a little clunky. I figured it was the nut, but it ended up being the tuners. For the money, I can't complain and if you have problems, you can order a set of cheap economy tuners to replace them with or at least the tuner that is messed up.

EDIT: if you are that worried about the tuners though, you could always spend a little more for an HSS Affinity.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  11. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2008
    roch ny
    I just purchased a Bullet Tele from MF. It is used but it was very inexpensive. So sprung for it. I've put together a couple of parts tele's over the past couple of years so figured I'd give this one a try and see how it shakes out. The only experience with a Bullet Squier I've had is with a neck off a strat I bought years ago. It is an absolutely gorgeous neck that I put on an unknown black strat body that was loaded. Worked out great so I figured why not. With this Bullet Tele I'll upgrade the bridge which I already ordered and I'll get some Standard American PUPS for it along with a 4 way switch. So there ya go.

Nickadermis likes this.
  12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    One of my friends had one of the first Bullet Teles from way back, it was thrown together with whatever parts they had on hand and for the cheapest they could make it. It had a ply body, the bridge was a small extension of the metal pickguard that was bent up and drilled out to hold the saddle screws. Should have been a POS, but I was astounded that it had an incredible fat, slightly rounded V-shaped neck, one of the best necks I've ever played, and despite the obvious ply body, sounded great. It really made me question all this talk about one piece vs. multi-piece solid bodies, weight relief, and tone woods. With a crappy plywood body, some cheap pickups that had white covers with no exposed polepieces (probably left over from Duo Sonics or something), a jerry-rigged bridge (if it could be called that), and cheap as hell, with that awesome v-neck on it, it sounded and played great. I wanted to buy it from him, but he didn't want to let go of it. I think those were still made in the U.S. back then, just as cheap as possible, but it's a guitar I'll never forget. It was red with a Tele headstock, I don't know where that v-neck came from, none of the other Fenders at that time had a neck like that.
    Al

Nickadermis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.