Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building my first partscaster, Warmoth or Mjt body?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MSjamison, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MSjamison

MSjamison TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Shreveport, La
    After owning a few mediocre teles and not wanting to spend a ton on a 61-62 RI custom shop, I've decided to build a partscaster. I've already order a Warmoth body (Standard tele, black, cream binding). The only thing that bugged me about my order was the poly finish warmoth uses. I really wanted the guitar to look like a vintage 60s telecaster and really wanted Nitro finish. Seemed like I couldn't find any manufacturers that used nitro finish and were also fender licsensed (wanted the body to be really close to actual fender body shape). So two days after I placed my order with Warmoth I discovered mjt and loved his finishes. Does anyone know how these body's compare to warmoth, quality wise? Also I'm defiantly sticking with my Warmoth neck. If I decide to cancel my body order with Warmoth will the Warmoth neck fit the mjt body? I've already emailed Mark Jennys about prices and hopefully I get a response soon. It's been three days since I ordered with Warmoth and hopefully canceling won't be to big of a deal, if I decide to go with mark jennys body. Also do any of you know about mjt turnaround time? Can't be any worse than Warmoths 10-12 weeks. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Either will be nice.
    If you are that concerned about a nitro body, why don't you want a nitro neck?

3. MSjamison

MSjamison TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Shreveport, La
    Warmoth offers a Nitro satin finish on there necks.

4. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    MJT stuff is top notch. Check out the MJT thread in the "Owner's Club" portion of the forum, lots of pics there. Mark uses Guitar Mill bodies for all un-bound bodies, and AllParts (I think) for bound bodies. His all nitro finishes are very nice and thin. Although, the cleanest finish he does is "closet clean" which is not quite new.

5. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh, and no problems with the neck/body fit.

6. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Think you can order any body and neck for MJT to finish in nitro....USACG/Warmoth/Allparts etc,etc..... MJT tend to use bodies from Wildwood with Allparts necks for their kits although for slight upcharge Musikraft necks are offered.

7. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    I guess you're not asking nicely enough. Matt has been very accommodating with me, and has offered buffed clean shiny unreliced finishes.

8. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2007
    MJT is excellent from both a quality and value perspective. If you want nitro and don't require the finish to be perfect, it's the way to go.

I have a Wildwood-made MJT body with closet clean finish mated to a Warmoth neck that has their satin nitro finish. Very high quality parts and finishes. The neck and body mate very well.

The closet clean finish made the body look like a nice used piece. It only had a couple blemishes. I'm not into relics, and I thought it was very tastefully done. The nitro on the Warmoth neck isn't like the traditional nitro used by MJT, but it seems very thin. At first I was worried that they forgot to apply the finish because it felt and looked like bare wood. After a little while the back of the neck developed a nice and comfy semi-gloss sheen from my hand.

Be forewarned, though, that the MJT finishes are definitely thin and they will age quickly. It will gather a nice collection of dents, chips and cracks.

9. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2007
    On your first go-round, or after you'd bought a few? I didn't press the issue too much when I ordered mine, but the cleanest Matt would go was the closet clean treatment.

10. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    My first, but they (mjt) were very new. I've purchased 5 bodies/ necks- 3 worn, and two clean. The thinline loos like it just came from a store. Very shiny... But not for long!

11. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    My favorite tele partscaster and my "go-to" guitar for gigging is a MJT pine, slightly reliced butterscotch body with a thin nitro Warmoth neck. If cost is a concern (or just if you like saving a little money), just stake out Mark's EBay store for a month or so. http://stores.ebay.com/MJT-Aged-Guitar-Finishes You'll see finished bodies that go for under $200 -- sometime a lot less than that. And it's the least relic'ed ones that seem to go for the better prices. (Of course that means that you don't get to specify exactly what it is you want.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.