Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building my first neck , a story of building jigs.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mkster, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi everyone ,

First my name is Mark , a bit about me i have been playing since 1986 , in school i studied arts so painting , drawing ,plan making , photography , cad , so many more , plus electronics and engine repair , but always wanted to build guitars .

Two years ago made 5 bodies , 3 of those are completed guitars now 1 wd neck and 2 allparts , i really love the tmo fat. But i want to make my own necks !

Last summer i started building my jigs , i was planing on reproducing the best jigs found on here , and try to keep it compact . I worked on it really hard so far its almost completed , not yet fully assembled i lost my will at some point and hope to get it back by sharing with all of you my work.

Best regards

Mark

I will start with the rod jig .

Attached Files:

Cheap Trills likes this.

2. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Again! I will also post a neck contour jig with pucks and neck radius jig.

Attached Files:

4. TulsaMike

TulsaMike TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Tulsa
    Those look great! Awesome jigs man!

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    I imagine this jig can be used to route the truss rod slot from either the front or back of the neck, right?

6. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    You are right .One side is for one piece neck the other for two piece .

Mark

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Making a neck template .

8. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Neck contour jig .

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Neck contour part two .

Attached Files:

10. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Working on the pucks !

11. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I managed to reproduce all the pucks from fender and nachos book.
    And the holder for the neck contour jig.
    I little more tomorrow .

Attached Files:

12. midget bar

midget bar Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    wow, that is a lot of work on the jigs, but if you are in it for the long haul that is the way to go. (I am too lazy for this type of thing) They will certainly go a long way in making life easy and repeatable.
    Looks like you got your will back so finish these up and show us them in use.

13. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Pretty cool work on the jigs. I have used that Bill Scheltema back shaping jig for a lot of necks, IMO it takes a few practice necks too get the pucks just right. The first neck I did - as practice using a Fir blank - was made exactly as I had seen Bill using the pucks that he posted with his design and ended up with something and it ended up more like a banjo neck because Bill starts with a blank that is thicker then 1"... So, you have to play with it, do some practice necks and tweak.

I think it comes down to planning out for the height of the router bit above the base of the sled: Bill Scheltema used 7/8" - and that works great for Tele necks - but the height of the bit could be a little longer if needed for a bit headstock or to accomodate a head angle. Conceptually, the lines of the neck back have the length of the bit that extends from the bottom of the sled (where the pucks ride) to the surface where the bit cuts into the neck - just add that to the final shape you want at a given spot on the neck (I choose the shape of the neck at the 1st and 12th frets); then that line is extend all the way to the front edge of the heel puck too the back edge of the head puck to get the puck shapes.

For instance, Bill used 7/8" for his bit height above the base of the slead: So I find the shape of the neck back at the first fret then the 12th fret and then do the math (x^2 + y^2 = z^2) using triangles to get the rough dimensions of pucks and I sort of just size the pucks from there and do a couple of practice necks and tweak the pucks on my ROSS.... after a few practice necks using 2x4 lumber I get it pretty close.

Here's some of my experiment pucks:

[​IMG]

Also on that Bill Scheltema jig - I get the best results when I plan for a bit height of 7/8" and only let the bit height get to about 13/16" - there is a lot of machine marks that need to get cleaned up: but the jig gets you really close and really even if you are really careful about the center line and the bit height. From there, I just do the transitions next and save all the sanding for the end so that it all blends together.

I also did this a completely different way to copy a neck that I really liked using the jig to make puck outlines (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/3204115-post175.html ) - that tuned out to be a great way to make pucks for me as well.

Also - here's an overhead version of that jig... (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4997492-post26.html) that's pretty cool.

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Wow , thanks for writhing all that , i did look at all your great work before making the jig i am a fan , i know all of the pit falls , i think i got that part down , i made pucks and the drawing based on the online puck calculator each to fender specs , i am planing on using the router sled i have built on this jig also the neck will be facing up router on top so could see the work.

Best regards

Mark

15. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I feel its always better to do it right , and if it goes as planed once the neck blank is cut to shape it will pass 3 jigs for all the operations except the fretting jig , so i would only move the neck 3 times .4 times for a 2 piece neck.

On the truss rod jig there will also be the bolt jig and one to cut the headstock down to thickness , plus the side of the jig can be use to cut the skunk stripe.

I really dont have much room , so i need this to be compact but if i do it right i will not have to use a ruler or even a pen to make a neck.

You would not believe how stable the sled is the gap 1/256 inch on each side to the rail . I thought the bearings would be gimmicky but it works great .

BTW those are skateboard bearing real cheap .

Thanks for your comments , i think you are right i need to see it working !

Mark

16. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Working on a radius jig 7.25 and 9.5 . I might mod it to do compounds .

17. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    More ...

Attached Files:

18. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Thanks Mark - ya - it's a lot easier than it sounds - or at least the way that I wrote that... like everything else it's one of those things where it just takes an afternoon of pretty simple straight forward tweaking to get it right: My first few necks I just tweaked from Bill's original pucks. I really like that jig and still use it on most builds.

Yep - my daughter would not wear her helmet when skateboarding... my winder works really nice with those bearings :lol:

There's certainly no one way too make a guitar, I certainly like making all the jigs just right because it makes building the next one a lot more fun. That first neck took forever, but it has been insanely fulfilling to make necks of all kinds of tweaks here and there too make each one just a little better.

Very cool ideas love the ingenuity!
    Looking great!
    --
    Mike

19. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Cambridge Ontario
    Mkster

Do you have a drawing of the truss rod jig

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.