Building first partscaster - looking for pup recommendations

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Miseria, Mar 12, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

If I had limited gear and a $300 pickup budget for a Tele, I'd spend $100 on used pickups and the other $200 on a really good speaker, or some division of funds along those lines, like maybe put the extra $200 into a better amp if I was running a $500 amp.

IMO before one spends $300 on two pickups one needs to spend over $1000 on the amp, assuming fair market values.
    a nice SFTR would save on the amp cost if you like mid scoop tones, or a hobby built 18w TMB if you like more Brutish tones.

While I'm not trying to put a dollar value on a great amp, I'm emphatically stating that great pickups need a great amp to shine, and mediocre pickups (which in general don't have as much corner cutting in manufacture as mediocre amps do) will shine brighter through a great amp than will great pickups shine through a run of the mill or mediocre amp.

2. Miseria

Miseria TDPRI Member

Thanks again all for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Cavalier Nashville/Lion King. LOVED the demos and seemed like a great value compared with the some of the others.

I'll be sure to report back once the build is done (parts aren't here yet). Should be nice though, got a nice roasted flame maple neck (1 5/8) and seafoam green alder body :) Getting excited.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Even if the additional brightness is not by a large degree, that's fine. I like the open top primarily for the aesthetic and it sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.