Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building A One Piece Neck.........

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jack Wells, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Lumber is roughsawn on a band mill in quarters. Well, they are more like goals instead of accurate cuts. So if the bandmill guy rough cuts the lumber at 1", it is sold as 4/4 lumber. After it dries(shrinks) and is planed smooth and flat, its generally around 3/4". So generally, when you buy rough lumber you always buy it bigger so you can plane it down to the correct size.

2. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Buy it wider than you need too - there are some undesirable spots that you may want to work around if you don't have a good chance to inspect the lumber. The processed "blanks" from Warmoth, Stumac... they might be good to go, no planing needed and all good wood, at the 1" or 13/16" (if using a different wood for the FB). I generally cut down 6/4 and 8/4 boards and buy it really cheap (like $2/bf) because of a big crack or knot - then just work around the problem area on a thicker board. What I have found on maple is that the area right next to where the wood has separated is some really great - very tight - grain: makes for a heavy neck, but that stuff is amazingly rigid maple if you can tame it.

If you only want to make 1 or 2 necks then the processed blanks may be the best way to go.

3. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2010
    Canada, Québec
    One question - What is the distance from the edge of the neck's heel to the nut on a telecaster neck? I have no reference on this.
    This would help me position the fretboard and bridge. Thanks!

4. Bill Scheltema

Bill Scheltema Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2008
    Palmerston, Ontario
    guitar2005

Based on Ed Hawleys cad drawing, it is 18-3/8"
    Welcome to the forum.

[​IMG]

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Based on a measurement on a Fender 21 fret neck with a dollar store tape measure I concur with the 18 3/8 in.

6. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2010
    Canada, Québec
    Awesome. Thanks! I've never built a guitar like this before. All of my usual builds are complete customs where I would draw everything out myself and have the necks and body joins custom designed (except for the 2 Jems I made).
    www.lydian.ca

This is going to be fun.

7. bassplyr53

bassplyr53 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Iowa
    neck

Jack,please forgive my stupid question,but why does the truss rod channel have to be arched on a tele neck?It can't be routed straight?Just trying to learn from the voices of experience.Thanks.
    Tom

8. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    The single action truss rod is captured between two points ....... the anchor and the adjusting nut. As the adjusting nut is tightened the portion of the rod between these two points gets shorter, straighting the rod somewhat resulting in an upward force applied to center of the neck thus reducing forward bow.

......[​IMG]

If the rod was in a straight channel, tightening the adjusting nut would only compress the wood at the anchor and/or nut end until the rod broke.

9. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    bassplyr53,
    There is no such thing as a stupid question here. I don't get on here very much anymore, but the TDPRI is very fortunate to Jack Wells. He not only answers your question in an articulate manner, but provides a picture.

10. Jompa

Jompa TDPRI Member

May 13, 2010
    Denmark
    Hello, JW +
    Nice thread and very good and descriptive information that inspires me and others alot.
    I have a question regarding this "curved" rod installation.

Is the rod tightened (with rod screw) to get this curve or is it "press'ed" into this curve before installation, hope you understand my question, sorry for my poor english (-;

Best regards
    Jompa

11. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    In the vintage style neck pictured above, the rod is first pushed through a hole at the headstock end then pushed through a hole at the heel. This forces the rod to take the curve of the channel.

12. genesiospinola

genesiospinola Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2010
    Brazil
    genesiospinola....... Regarding the special bit, it probably could be done. In fact I think some people do that but using a large bit like that isn't something I'd want to try. I'm 66 years old and still have all of all of my fingers.

A found this Jack:http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/420-1010/best_sellers. Saver finger, i think a good tool for the work.
    Cheers! ;-)

13. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I think that tool is for using big tools on small pieces - running a neck through a router table with a big bit for shaping the back would still be just as dangerous.

14. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder NEW MEMBER!

Nov 15, 2010
    new york
    hello
    I do not know if it's really the topic of this forum.
    (Excuse me, but I do not often use my computer)
    but I would like to know where I can found blueprint of a guitar Fender Telecaster precise enough

or possibly where I could buy it.

thank you

15. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Hey Bob, Welcome to the forum.

Check out this thread for links to lots of PDF drawings of Teles and other guitars.

16. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    Hi Jack! quick question.. since you didn't get to the fretting part, I don't think it was mentioned.. you cut the fret slots before radiusing the fretboard where the slot's depth gets reduced on the sides.. how do you recut the slots to the proper depth? since the curved slot can not be cut on the mitter box..

Thanx!!

17. TheShay127

TheShay127 TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Ohio

I see that some truss rods come with a washer that goes along with the adjustable nut. What is the purpose of that washer?

Also, what was the thickness of that maple slab you started with JWells?
    :confused:
    :p

18. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I started with a 1 in. thick maple blank. The washer is there so the adjusting nut isn't turning against the wood. Sometimes extra washers are added if you run out of adjustment.

With respect to fret slot depth, it's best to cut them a little extra deep so they will be deep enough after you radius the fretboard. If however, you fail to cut them deep enough you can cut the shallow portions deeper using the StewMac fret saw with the depth stop attachment.

......[​IMG]

StewMac also sells a gauge that allows you to measure the depth of the slots to ensure they are deep enough before you start installing the frets.

......[​IMG]

19. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    bassplayr53, you could just rout a straight (flat-bottomed) channel and use a two-way dual trussrod, but we don't need no newfangled double rods around here...

Jompa, the 3/16" steel rod is plenty flexible enought to get it in where it needs to go without prebending it.

theShay127, the washer goes under the nut so that the nut is bearing against metal instead of crushing the wood at the bottom of the countersink. Oh, Jack already answered that one.

Jack, do you have any concerns about gaps under the fret and do you fill the slots with glue? I'd be worried about cutting almost all the way through a rosewood slab leaving a bunch of Dominoes glued to the neck instead of one solid slab fingerboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.