Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building a Jag!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by YALCaster, Aug 17, 2017.

1. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    Well, I have a thread on this over at Strat Talk, but I decided I'd bring it over here, because maybe some of you will be interested!

The whole reason I started playing guitar was John Frusciante, I've always loved him and his playing style. So of course my dream guitar since I started playing was his 66' Jag in Sherwood Green (the guitar from the Under The Bridge music video)!

I've finally decided it was time to stop drooling and start working on it. So I bought a Classic Player Jaguar.
    IMG_0452.JPG

What I didn't know was that the tremolo had moved closer to the bridge and that the bridge would be so difficult to change. So I definitely have some work to do!

I first started off by chipping off the top layer of poly, and pulling out the threaded thimbles that the bridge posts sit in.

Vespa_One likes this.

2. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0469.JPG
    To achieve this, I put a metal bit in the bottom of the thimble holes (open bottomed thimbles) and I put the studs back in and twisted until they came out.

To fill the holes, I bought 1/2in dowel, and I drilled the holes to be 1/2 (only a hair wider) and I glued the dowel in.
    IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0493.JPG

From here all I've done is sand off that nasty orange color, but I'll spare you the picture for now!

horax likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    What's the finishing discussion?

4. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    Haven't been updating this thread much, but honestly I haven't got much farther than when I left off.
    Neck came in, sanded off a good portion of the poly, and I glued some wood. I also made a template to route out the trem cavity
    IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0551.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.