Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building a guitar. . . . Hummmm...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. bellcitytele

bellcitytele TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Ron,
    I checked out the patty David music on MySpace. Very nice...
    Scott

2. tt8

tt8 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    Before I begin my first build of a telecaster body would it be recommended that I gather particular hardware that would be useful as I'm working along? Such as the bridge, neckplate, control plate and the scratchplate?

3. tt8

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    Hello

I need some help or confirmation.

I'm doing a build of a neck template, and I've already built the body. I'm not getting my neck heel to correctly fit my neck pocket on the body. It is too loose with clear space between the sides of the heel and the body's neck pocket. The width of the neck heel is under 2.12" or 54mm at its widest. My neck pocket is modelled on the Terry Downs' Tele_body_drawing_revE and so I have measured it and it is 2.224" or 56.49mm exactly at its widest point. Is this small amount of a difference (0.07" or 1.78mm) that much of an issue? Should the 2.12" be dead on 2.1899"?

I'm thinking that I perhaps sanded the template right on the pdf outline of the neck instead of just outside the line.

I'm sure I downloaded the neck pdf from this site labelled '60S VERNEER NECKTRUSS1'.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I believe the widest part the neck is 2-3/16" and the widest part of the neck cavity is 2-7/32". You need room for lacquer and then of course there is a tolerance with factory produced parts. You make the neck too wide, you end up sanding off somewhere to make it fit. You also need a bit of wiggle room to adjust the neck to the bridge.

You can find drawings here:
    http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6&p=18618&hilit=templates#p18618

5. tt8

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    Thank you guitarbuilder. I needed the confirmation. I believe I should re-model the neck template I built.

6. tt8

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    Inserting the truss rod

Hi

Just need a bit of assistance.

A question about the truss rod and fitting it into its groove. I'm using StewMac's 18" Slotted Nut Hot Rod Truss Rod and laying it in a straight, flat groove from the top of the neck.

1. Should I apply araldite glue at both brass ends?
    2. Should I cradle the brass ends in cloth and araldite?
    3. Being the fact the width of the groove should be the same as the width of the truss' rods, then I expect to have to force the truss rod down into the groove. So it should be a very tight fit (given that I need to recess the groove slightly at the brass ends for the brass ends to fit in)? I'm assuming that the walls of the groove should be in contact with both rods?

Is this correct?

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    If you use are using a hot rod, the slot should be loose enough to remove it if set up that way. They recommend using a little silicone at the ends and the middle, down in the slot...not on the fretboard surface. When the rod bends down, the middle of the top rod hits the fretboard underside and the brass ends push down at the neck surface. If reversed, the contact points reverse.

Read this:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Truss_Rods/Hot_Rod_Adjustable_Truss_Rods.html

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yeah, what Marty sed...

just follow the Stew-Mac instructions, you'll be fine..

Ron

9. tt8

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    Thanks. I didn't see those instructions, I only saw the limited instructions. So cork or cloth is not stated?

I thought silicone would breakdown over time, so I thought araldite epoxy glue would be better ...?

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Just do what it says....:)

11. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Go with the silicon.... Proven stuff... Listen to experience :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.