Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building a guitar. . . . Hummmm...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Counter top fabricators throw away this stuff by the ton.... dig out the Phone book.. look in the yellow pages under counter top fabricators... call 'em... remember .. those guys probably have a Guitar too so let them know what you're up to.... Oh.. there are several other "brand names" associated with Corian like materials, all are fine... Corian is DuPont's registered brand name But Formica has one, as well as a few other companies...

Ask 'em if they mind if you drop by and do a little "dumpster diving"... you should be able to fill up a truck for free. Corian scrap is to a fabricator is like wood scraps 'n sawdust are to me... I've seen quite enough, thank you,. and you can have all you can haul away...They are probably gonna tell you you're welcome to as much of it as ya want... and can you use a couple of Sink Cut-outs.... they're big enough to make a Corian body from... 'cept you'll need a re-enforced strap to support the 25 pound monster...

Ron Kirn

2. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Sep 10, 2009
    Texas
    This should be a book, I would buy it and put it up for people to see, nice work

3. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    A question for Mr Kirn... I see your templates are drilled for the bridge holes, is there a specific bridge that fits these? Or are there several, and who from?

4. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    any bridge made to vintage specs fit..

Ron Kirn

5. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2011
    Cleveland
    Just read this whole thing..... Great info. But I came here to find what you do to the neck... You sand it, tint it, then sand it? Or after tint, then clear?

Now after the clear, what is the process for sanding and finishing? Is there a step of 220 sanding?

6. MReynolds

MReynolds Tele-Meister

What a fun, and educational read this thread is !! Thank you "Master" Kirn for taking the time to enlighten us :)

7. bellcitytele

bellcitytele TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Any suggested vendors?

Ron,
    I am just getting started with building Tele's, and my question is finding affordable wood! Do you deal with a mill directly?
    thanks,
    Scott

8. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I buy very rough lumber, it's only a few cuts away from being a tree.... you would do best buying a body blank, USACG sells them.

OH those prices are several years old.... expect a bit of "sticker" shock..

Ron

9. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Ron,
    Thx for the reply...
    Well I gave your son in law some business and bought the templates, and am currently shaping the patterns.
    I found a hardwood dealer and bought some 8/4 ash. Now I may have just had my first learning experience.
    I say that because I bought 7" wide stock and plan on gluing that up, for a 2 piece body....then I thought....
    Will having the seam dead center be an issue? Probably not the best idea....any thoughts? I could go back and
    Pick up another 4" piece and make three piece bodies...

Anyway, I am rather fortunate to have a friend who has a cabinet shop so he's got the right tools for making the blanks.

Thank you for your time!

Scott

10. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    Having the seam in the center is the normal way to do it and probably far more common than having a single piece body.
    It's also much easier to glance at your work and make sure stuff is lined up ok with a two piece body than with a three piece.

-Josh

11. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    It's a permanent centreline reference too.

12. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Josh,
    Excellent!
    Thanks for the reply.
    Now onto joining...
    Scott

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    There are some that argue that having the seam down the center weakens the body... nah... any modern wood working glue, and most old stuff, creates a joint that, structurally, is stronger than the surrounding wood...

r

14. PMF1954

PMF1954 Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    springfield illinois
    Man. What a great thread. Took me almost 2 hours to read it. It would be an honor owning a guitar you made.

15. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Ron,
    Thx for the reply.
    I would like to know what's my best best for a band saw blade?
    Based on the type of wood, and thickness, from what I've seen,
    A hook tooth blade is best. Would you concur? 1/4 inch blade or 3/8?
    I would lean toward 1/4, but I'd rather get a knowledgable answer, and
    Not spend money I don't need to.
    Thx!
    Scott

16. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I use a 1/2 inch, 4 hook for everything.... for me the bandsaw is a "rough out" tool, i don't do "fine work" on it.

If you're in a larger metropolitan area, there will be someone somewhere that supplies blades to industrial users... get them there, they will be better quality and less expensive. You will have to do a little "research" to find 'em ... call blade sharpeners in your area.

rk

17. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Thank you!
    Scott

18. David Grimes

David Grimes TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United States
    Wonderful thread. Thanks, Ron. I have a set of your templates that will get used fairly soon. I will be back routing so as to avoid pickguards, but very glad to know that the templates came from someone who obviously knows what they are doing.

19. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Ron,
    I wanted to give an update on my progress. It's taking me a while, but a little time here, and a little time there is all I can manage, however, if I can get 1/2 an hour at least in the shop, then it gives me something to look forward to. Anyway, the body is all cut and routed....it did have a tear out incident, however I filled it and it will always be a reminder of where I started from! I've been buying pieces a little at a time, and all I have left are the pups. Right now I'm finishing the guitar and I'm taking a depArture from the traditional nitro finish. I just don't want to get all involved in that whole spray process. I found a really nice 2 part finish from wudtone in England. It's a wipe on finish, so no spraying needed. It's here: www.wudtone.com the finish is coming out beautifully! I will post some of those pics soon.

image-3584896196.jpg

image-1186793080.jpg

image-2789367624.jpg

20. bellcitytele

Feb 21, 2012
    Wudtone's website
    Http://www.wudtone.com

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.