Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Building a guitar. . . . Hummmm...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

I'll trade you my -17°F for your cold and rainy. ;)

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    kinda hard to get lacquer to dry on a -17 degree day....

rk

3. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

Tell me about it...winter is time for oil and wipe-on poly. ;)

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Dry!?

Today it froze between the gun and the guitar!

That's how cold it was here!

Yessirreebob!

Of course this is Iowa. We may have 50° temps by next weekend.

Gotta love it...because loving it is cheaper than moving!

;)

5. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Rofl, good one! And very very true! =P

6. HiggyDude

HiggyDude Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Love the winter to Lacquer Guitars...

Not in Phoenix - we winterize our house by opening the windows. I saw in a previous Terry Downs thread he showed his spray booth. Well in Tempe AZ in the winter I open my garage door and use my spray booth.

[​IMG]

I made it out of 1" PVC - no glue (in case I have to take it down because my wife wants to put her car in the garage). I used zip ties and shower curtains. Cost me probably $50 for the whole deal and one day's work.

Chris, Ron - any of you really talented guys want to come to the sunshine and show me the tricks and tips of guitar building - well...

7. amp boy

amp boy Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2007
    toronto, Canada
    Higgy...is thatt table in your booth...a wine rack stand...??.....
    if it is.....hahhahhhaha
    now that's funny.

8. HiggyDude

HiggyDude Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Wine Rack in the Spray Booth...

I was waiting for someone to notice that. My wife bought a new liquor/wine cabinet and this one got tossed out to the garage. It is perfect height to lay a body on and work on it - especialy for wet sanding. And if I really screw something up I can reach below and open a good bottle of chardonnay or merlot. (Still looking for pilsner bottles long enough to stay in the rack :lol: )

It works great to hold a body so I can spray the sides as well. I placed a turnbuckle on some supports from the ceiling piece. I can hang a guitar or neck and turn it if needed - works great.

[​IMG]

I built those body stands from the leftover styrofoam pieces Stanley Steemer places under your furniture after cleaning the carpets. I asked the guys for a few blocks of them - they work great. (BTW- I didn't spray the both pieces in the booth together - they are just in there drying)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008

9. amp boy

amp boy Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2007
    toronto, Canada
    Higgy, i think you got a smart idea going there.
    i'm jealous of that plank and neck i see in the photo.....i think that's the body colour i'm after...is that a nocaster ish vintage blonde, more opaque with butter than margerine blonde ??

why am i talking like this ??
    no wonder my cousin laughs at me when i talk about guitar colour.
    hahahahaa....

10. AJ Guitars

AJ Guitars TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2009
    De Pere, WI
    Thanks Ron! Great Walkthrough.

It is great to see a Master of their Art sharing knowledge, instead of hoarding it and keeping it all a secret.

11. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    AJ, Welcome to the party.. just put the beer in the 'fridge.... and the Boys of Green Bay were my team bach when. . . ;)

Now, I don't even have time to watch the "cut away" shots of the Cheerleaders..... :(

Ron Kirn

12. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Holy Crap! Another cheesehead decides to bring this thread up to date......and with his very first post, too! It's really too small of a world! How cool is that?

Ron, when I called you the other day to have you build a guitar for me, I really meant to have you build me this:

[​IMG]

I really hope it's not too late........LOL. Can't wait for the guitar, Ron! You're the greatest!

Jim

BTW, the GB cheeleaders were never all that exceptional when compared to other NFL cheerleading teams.....even in the early days....these days they're mostly comprised of volunteer student ladies from nearby St. Norbert's college or UWGB. GB could use an upgrade in this respect.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    So anyway, which cheese gives the best tone? :lol:

RK

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Stilton gives me the best tone... but we ain't talkin' about that, are we...

15. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Brunswick, Maine
    LOL!!!!

16. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    Well, regardless of tone, it simply wouldn't be right to have a custom-built guitar come to Wisconsin without using all natural, aged cheddar cheese. However, it appears as though we might have to ask Ron to re-clarify his question.

17. VanGray

VanGray NEW MEMBER!

Dec 26, 2010
    Texas
    Beautiful guitar! I hate to appear so ignorant, but what about the neck - was it custom, or purchased? Any info about this aspect of the project would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

18. NYbill

NYbill Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2010
    New York
    Its on page 3 of the thread, VanGray.

19. Twangyo

Twangyo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2007
    the Netherlands
    Beware of mice....!

20. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2010
    San Dimas
    THAT is cool...where and how can I get Corian like that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.