Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Building a cabinet...wrong tools

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by KeepInTune, Nov 13, 2012.

1. KeepInTune

KeepInTune TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Kansas City
    I'm wanting to make a simple cabinet for a 1x12 extension (which I'll tolex or tweed). I want to make it finger-joint, but I only have a circular saw (hand held), a hand held jig saw, and a router.

Any advice/suggestions from those of you who have built a finger-joint box without a table saw?

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Out West
    I have tried this and the results, I was not happy with. You do not have to go with finger joints. Do you have a plunge router? What about using dowel pins in the corners? Use your plunge router to drill the holes and glue in dowels. I was thinking this should be adequate. I have seen others make cabs like this.

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Out West
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    Pocket Screws and glue if you plan on covering the joints anyroad.
    or you could make them with a router table and a guide the same width as the bit. That is how I did mine. Not great like Norm Abrahms would make, but good enough for me.

Check out these finger joints
    [​IMG]

they used to look like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. KeepInTune

KeepInTune TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Kansas City
    Thanks so much. I think I'll just find a local carpenter and pay him to cut the finger joints. I'm guessing it might be a $25+- charge if I supply the pine.

That would definately make this an easier project!

7. cigarman

cigarman Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2012
    Baytown, Texas
    Doweling jig from Rockler was 15.00, I am limited to just a few tools also.

8. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2012
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario
  9. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    I did the finger joints for the cab for my Princeton using a simple homemade jig in combination with a home made router table. I found the designs via the search engine of your choice (in fact it may even have been on TDPRI) and they were pretty easy to throw together.

I'm probably not the worlds greatest woodworker, but it worked ok.

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    I made some very nice finger joints with just a pull saw and a chisel and file. All with hand tools. Took me about an hour for each side, 4 hours spread over 2 days. Borrowed a router to roundover the edges.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  11. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    Hand cut finger joints are not uncommon, there should be good instruction on the web. Have you googled "hand sawing finger joints"?

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    you can cut finger joints but you will need a hand saw and decent chisel. You can buy both tools for around $25.

13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Easiest way would be to make a jig for the router. Well getting the local carpenter to do it would be easier. Mind you he may not have the jig for it either.

14. rogb

rogb Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I've made 4 cabs so far with a simple 1/2" box cutter on my router mounted upside down in my Workmate , which becomes a basic router table. I made a guide with an offcut of ply mounted on to the router metal guide. Marked the 1/2" joints out and slide it along for each cut.
    I cut down the side cuts with a jigsaw and also some diagonal cuts to remove most of the ply, which saves your bit and stops much of the splitting.

The box cutter is really only truing up the sides and making the flat end cut in the finger joint.

It really is quite easy and once you have done a few you will wonder why you even worried about it!

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2012
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2010
    London
    Use a Coping Saw & a chisel to cut finger joints, 3/8" or 1/2" wide you really don't need a expensive router & jig to do simple joints! It's not as it they are dovetails or other even more complicated joints.

Just basic woodwork like you learnt in school when you were 12 years old!

17. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2012
    Perth, Australia
    I make cabs using only an electric jigsaw to cut to rough size and a router for final trimming, and a $20 DIY jig for finger cutting joints. A practice run or two and now no issues getting a nice tight result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I go into more detail here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1142395

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.