Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

build the best amp ever...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Newbcaster, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Hey folks. figures that a noob like me would ask a dumb question... but is it dumb really? I think not, elsewise I wouldnt be asking it lol.

Seriously though, what do people look for in the G.O.A.T, money-no-object, baby cobra nutsack-instead-of-tolex amplifier?

why?

I'm thinking if enough people answer, a trend of some kind may sort of show itself.

Here's a starter set of questions:

1) what form factor?
    2) how many watts
    3) closest amp that exists in your mind based on either mythical hearsay or actual experience or both
    4) how many channels
    5) what tubes, how many?
    6) if the amp exists, who is your fave player of it?
    7) anything else you'd like to add??

In a nutshell, i'm asking you to tell me what you would sell the most precious thing to you besides your pets, wives, human family members, your own soul and the object of your faith, inorder to obtain this dream amp we are all about to create together.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    So is this a 2 part question (What would the amp look like, and what non-spiritual item would you sell for it) ?

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Interesting but unanswerable question - BECAUSE - it depends on what you want an amp to do.

Case in point - one of the most awesome amps I ever played was Marshall Super Lead with two original cabinets. the times I played one was at a rehearsal studio playing mostly R&B type rhythm at rehearsal volume, getting a brown - but mostly clean sound. It was about as low as it could go and the background singers were still yelling at me to turn down the whole time.

I LURVED it! BUT, and its a big BUTT, I would never want this amp for what we have all seen it do - being used as an instrument of aural destruction when turned up to 10!

On top of that, as a geezer now just doddling along in my LR, unless I was a millionaire living in an english mansion, I couldnt imagine having this giant robot in my house. It is however the only "grail" amp I have never actually owned.

So horses for courses. Almost everyone is going to want something different out of an amp. in my current mode, a modded Silver Princeton pull-boost is just about perfect. I came close to buying a Tone King Imperial II - which I think is a real achievement - for what I want in an amp - reverb, vibrato, switchable tweed sound, attenuator, great BF clean tone. My Princeton checks those boxes too with my version of the Texas Tea mod, an outboard (Tone King) attenuator and grossly modified tremolo (and IMHO a slightly better clean tone).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    cap47 likes this.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    1) Head unit
    2) Don't really care
    3) Not sure
    4) 2, each with its own EQ. Master volume.
    5) Channel 1 12AY7, channel 2 12AX7. 12AX7 for the tone stack. 12A*7 for switchable vibrato, same for switchable spring reverb, same for the FX loop and phase inverter. Whichever 12A*7 would be best suited.4x6V6 output. Oversize mains transformer, oversize output transformer with taps for 4,8 + 16 Ohms
    6) Dunno if it exists
    7) Nothing. Two channels, vibrato and reverb footswitchable will do me.

I'd happily sell my old SLR and rangefinders.

Newbcaster likes this.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I would love to build a amp but it looks complicated

6. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

Your answer to question 5 is intriguing. why would you want those tubes in that way? what would that sound like to you and what music do you play?

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I like the sound of a 12AY7 or 5751 just on the verge of breakup. Hairy clean. To my ears, the 12AX7 gets more lairy than hairy rather quickly. It's a sound that has its place. Below that point, to my ears, the 12AY7 and 5751 are warmer ( pretentious mode on ), creamier even. The 12AX7 I find to be sharper in its sound. More cutting. It's not just treble. The AY is more laid back. I like my almost cleans. Dig in, they dirt up. Back off, they clean up. I find the AY gives more range. I could be spouting verbal rhino-poop.
    All my current valve amps have either a 12AY7 or 5751 in V1. They're all single channel though.
    The 12AX7 for the tonestack is there to keep the signal levels up. The rest?, whatever does the job.
    I have no need for huge power, but do like the sound of 6V6, plus, the slight differences between each valve give a different tone to two more powerful valves.

mitchfinck and Newbcaster like this.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    A reasonable question, which will be easy to answer after you figure out the meaning of life, and then what the best guitar that everyone agrees on is, irrespective of what forum they are on.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Build the best amp ever??

Been there, done that....
    ....my Mission 5E3.

Done.

OK, so maybe its more of "my favorite amp" as opposed to, "the best amp ever."
    But defining that "best ever" thing is pretty much impossible.

As far as what I'd give up for that amp - the Mission cost me a few dollars and a bunch of time.
    It was well worth all of it. :D

brown2bob likes this.

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    I've got a tweed Bassman and a BFSR I've built, but the one Grail amp I still would absolutely love to own is the 6G12-A Concert Amp with the harmonic tremolo. Beautifully hypnotic sound.

Bendyha likes this.

11. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I want Randall Smith to build me a Kingsnake combo.
    I only have one stipulation.
    It has to come in at 35 lbs. or under

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I'll play... that's a huge 'it depends' though.

But if we are talking a great tool for a jobbing muso who wants to cover everything asked for, well....

- 2x12 for the spread (I run my 1x12 combo through a 2x12 halfback cab for big gigs)

- 15-75 watt switchable,

- Class A mode option,

- options to run EL34s for a classic English power stage crunch and 6L6s for big bell like fatness. EL84s run out of juice in the bottom end too quick.

- three channels that deliver perfect cleans, edgy crunch and fluid leads on demand eliminating the need for a floor full of dirt pedals

- graphic EQ built in you can tie to any channel and foot switch for a frequency focussed boost or a different flavour

- tube driven fx loop

- a nice spring reverb.

I got it... it also cost me a really great Les Paul in the trade (meets your criteria of a painful loss to get it).

It's an early 80's Mesa Boogie MK III

Not felt there could be a 'better' all rounder amp out there. Maybe a nice MK4 or a modded 2x12 Lonestar 6L6 combo might do it though.

That said, I really like the raw simplicity of my new (old) 1979 Marshall JMP 2104 2x12 Master Lead combo - just plug in, turn it up and ride the guitar controls. 50w, bright dirt, amazing rich cleans, plenty of reserve headroom.

I was working myself up to making a 2204 head myself till this combo turned up locally by chance. I'd built a champ, a 5w SE with a plexi preamp and a hot rodded 18w in the process. All were great but not quite there - either lacking volume/headroom or offering too narrow a sweet tone range.

Personally I'd be looking at the original JMP 2104/2204 as a foundation of the 'best amp ever' if designing from scratch. I'd make the two standard channels switchable, add reverb and add an fx loop and be happy to call it a day.

Newbcaster likes this.

13. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    That's a heck of an amp. Wasn't the Mark III the basis of the Coliseum and Coliseum 300 Boogies?

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    The portable/small Super Reverb

Nobody cracked that Holy Grail equation yet

that would be the perfect amp, to me, imho

DougM, skantzos and clintj like this.

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    what a fantastic post. i hope we get more like these!!!

16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd ask, what exactly do you expect from the final product and then work backwards to what's needed to make it all happen.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA

18. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Silverface I guess if you'd reread the original post you might discover that all those questions are to be answered from YOUR perspective. What is your desired amp and what are its specs? Give it a go. it might be fun and who knows, you might just get others to answer too!!

This is a serioous question, but everyone should answer it as completely as they can, from their perspective of what the holy grail, mother of all sound, amplifier

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I did, and I was dead serious. There is no answer. When I was gigging I used (generally) 4 different amps "depending"....and other setups in the studio. Again, depending. So there is no "ideal" unless there's a target to hit -

You'd use a different gun to shoot at a bullseye 10' away then 500 yards....and if the bullseye was 30mm or 3mm...a different car to drive the Daytona 500, the Indy 500, Monte Carlo or Pikes Peak.

20. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    I'm not sure I buy this perspective, though I glad that you shared it. There are many hypercars today, street legal that would give an indy car some trouble. Hard to imagine a hunting or war scenario where something like an ar-15 and a glock as a sidearm wouldnt cover you. These days the rifles are looking more and more like pistols with a stock.

Amps?? for me its a variable powerscaling 150 watts max amp that goes down to 1 watt and has a bunch of tubes to make women swoon. thats the dream amp. i use either a marshall 100 watt js with 4x12 and an attenuator currently.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.