Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BUILD: Marshall 18W Single Channel w/Reverb

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by sds1, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh, gotcha. Looks good besides that. Getting close to firing it up!

I've got my board populated. Haven't done s highlighter check or soldered up yet, but I check all my values with the meter as I place them, so im hoping it's correct. Once my spoils of wire arrive, ill solder the board and put it all into the chassis. Looking forward to firing this one up. The chassis layout should be much better, and I'm hoping all the changes and suggested improvements tame the trem thump. I've chop sticker version one to death and I can make the thump much worse, but can't get it any better than it is.

sds1 likes this.

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Nice, I hope these trem upgrades do the trick. :)

3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    So, slight problem. The existing chassis socket cutouts are 1" diameter. So far I can't see that anyone makes a 9-pin socket that would fit a 1" hole.

Anything come to mind?

The 9-pin sockets that I'm using have the non-attached mounting ring, so the socket itself will fall right thru the 1" hole. The 8-pin sockets I have, however, their mounting rings are clamped to the socket. If anyone's seen 9-pin sockets that are have an attached mounting ring that might work, assuming the mounting diameter is OK.

4. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    What dockets do you have?
    I use Belton sockets. The 9 pin sockets come in a couple of flavours, but all I've used (too mount, bottom mount, and with shield bayonet) have the mounting ring crimped to the socket, and they're relatively cheap. The sockets themselves are for a 19mm hole (roughly 3/4") but the mounting screw holes are wider than that. They should work.

5. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Mine are a noname ceramic that I get from AES. I see the Beltons you're talking about, that helps a little but the mounting centers are 1.125" which only gives me 1/16" on either side of the cutout for a screw hole. Hmm.

6. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia

7. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Cool, looks like those adapter plates would work. I have the room for them. I was just thinking about how I could fashion something similar. They do get in the way of where those RCA jacks needed to go, that needs some thought.

Also those are $4.50 a piece. I mean maybe that's just what it takes to get out of this mess I dunno. :)

8. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I figure there are cheaper options, but that gives a design idea. Build yourself if you can. Or buy those and drill and modify as required...

I wonder if there are bigger sockets on the market...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.