Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Build begins - 72 deluxe Jaguar type thing...Jagster well call it.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Tomorrow I'm going to round over the edges of the Jagster and attempt the body contours. What size round over router bit should I use? 1/2" round over?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    All you could come up with? I'd say that's a pretty fancy schmancy solution! I don't see any duct tape anywhere.

3. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2010
    Canada
    I want your drill press! I used a drill press to put a 7/8" hole through a block of wood, then I clamped the block of wood to the table, lined up the body against that and clamped it down as well... then I used a hand drill with a built in level and drilled very, very carefully. I almost blew it, but ended up with pretty good results!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I think I will LIKE that guitar.

6. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

May 3, 2007
    Ocean View near Bris Aust
    Thank you sir.

You are a real gentleman.

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Look at A9CAD.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There is a freeware program called CADstd. It isn't great or that easy to use, but the price is right and should be able to handle the file. One time a guy here got ticked off at me because he bought the program and didn't like it.... I'm just saying you can try it for free if you have nothing else.

http://cadstd.com/

9. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

May 22, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    Cad software? Check out DraftSight. Free and most commands are AutoCAD compatible. I use it, Love it.

Not sure of the web site, but google it.

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    That's what a Strat uses, and unless you want a really rounded Tele, I'd use less. They normally are done 3/16" I think. I use 1/4" myself, but of course there are many variations to taste. Do what makes you happy (and practice on a scrap first ;)) :)

Dave

11. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Much thanks. Sorry for the highjack.:oops:

12. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Well it's no Emeraldcaster with a bound headstock but...hopefully it turns out well.

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Well lot's of progress on the Jagster today.

I rounded the edges with a 1/2" bit. Rounding the edges may have exposed the first design flaw but I think I can work around it. With the rounded edge there is very little room for the pickguard near the neck pickup.

[​IMG]

My plan called for a pickguard screw to go between the neck pup and the edge of the body but I don't think there is room. Well see.

I also attacked the contours today. I read Ron Kirn's strat build on his website and decided I would go the jig route. Here's the jig and getting ready to sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got the tummy cut roughed in I got the hand held grinder and attached the same sanding wheel that Ron Kirn used to do his forearm cut.

I sketched the line and shaded the body and started grinding with the sanding wheel. I even did like Ron said and kept my elbows in and rotated at the waist to try and get a nice even contour across the body. Apparently Ron has better hips than me, it was taking too much material off too fast and I felt like I had little control. So I clamped the body back to my jig and went back to the sanding wheel on my drill press. It was slower but I was happy with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took it out in the sunlight and did the shadow trick like Mr. Kirn does and that works great. I did a bunch of final sanding by hand while holding it in the sunlight. It came out great. Thank you Ron Kirn, your build page on your website is very helpful. I'm not sure how you do so well with that grinder but, still very helpful.

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Had some time to work on the Jagster today.

I cut out the neck pocket template and sanded it to a perfect fit. The crumpled plan makes it looks a little rough but the pocket is nice and snug.

[​IMG]

I use nails that fit in the string thru holes to align the template on the body. The nails fit pretty snug. I get the centerlines all lined up and clamp the template down.

[​IMG]

Then it's just route out the pocket with the router, forgot to take a pic, just some visible sawdust left over from the neck route.

[​IMG]

After that I test fit the neck and see if everything is lining up well and following the centerline. Seems pretty good to me, neck fits real tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good. I think it's time to start on the pickguard and make sure everything fits well. Guess I'll go study Ron Kirn's strat build again and learn all about making a pickguard. Any suggestions?

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Well I tried to bleach the two outer pieces of wood to hopefully get them to match the center piece a little better. Unfortunately it didn't work and the bleach job didn't help, the woods were still totally different colors. The problem is I had to rotate the template on the body blank to miss a knot, the different color woods always made everything look out of alignment since the template wasn't overlaid straight on the blank. I got tired of looking at the mismatch and optical illusion so I stained it all one color (see attached). It still looks awkward so I am convinced this one will be a solid color now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    It will still look great! As always, I shill for Surf Green (Sonic Blue at least) :). Sweet build!

Dave

17. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Finally got some more work done on the Jagster. Actually Jagster's now. I did enough test fitting to have confidence in the prototype so I moved on to a new slab of wood. This is some salvaged pine, very very old. It is really tight grain and it sands really nice.

Started by routing the cavities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then did a bunch more work that I didn't take pics of and now it has the first coat of sanding sealer on it. I'm liking the second one a lot, it's much lighter and just better in ways that don't show in the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    Very nice work sir. I look forward the finished guits.

19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Ok time for some cheesy, gratuitous mock-ups. The dark colored one will end up being fiesta red, black pickguard, chrome hardware. The light colored one will be a very dark tobacco on back and sides to a vintage amber burst on the front. Tortoise shell guard, chrome hardware. In case you are curious the tele will be BSB if all goes well. The spray rig will be busy this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I think the next step is to pull the cheap frets, sand the necks and get some vintage amber on them. They are looking a little pale to me.

21. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 1, 2006
    Australia
    Fantastic! I like the look of the dark finish, I have a few Fir builds going myself and I was wondering how a dark fish would take to the grain...., now I have my answer!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.