Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freekmagnet, Mar 13, 2017.
yes ,I am impressed.
It’s been a while since I’ve been able to do any finishing. There was the holidays, then I was in be with a bad head cold, and since I do most of my painting outdoors, the weather here in SoCal has been an issue. It’s held at a fairly steady 52°-56° in the shade where I spray, and it has been very windy. Neither condition has been very conducive for painting outdoors.
Anyway, I sprayed the back with a couple coats of dye stain - a mixture of 2 parts GF Medium Brown, 1 part GF Orange and 1 part GF Amber. The GF dye stain had a ton of color, so I cut it by 20% with their reducer. Looks pretty good - I’m going to seal it with Seal Coat, mask the back and hit the front with some orange.
I hit the front of the bass with some orange yesterday. Overall, it went OK! I had to sand it back once - the orange required a little more finesse out of my cheap spray gun than the medium brown mix did. It was no prob - I’d sealed the surface beforehand with de-waxed shellac. I think it looks pretty good!
I have a little clean-up on the binding and then today, I might scrape the binding with a razor blade. It’s supposed to rain for a few days here in SoCal, so I probably won’t get to clear coating it for a while. The li’l Lady and I actually going on vacation this month - I was hoping to get this bad boy done before I left, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.
The word we use here in Southern California is, “Firme.”
Wow, that looks great!! I do love the orange.
I just thought I’d share this - I had my first repair job come through my shop.
This week, the weather and work constraints didn’t allow for me to get any clear coating done. I have to coat the body and I have maybe another round of 6-8 coats to put on the neck. I was hoping to do it today, but it’s raining like crazy here in SoCal. I’ll just have to wait until we get back from our trip next week. No worries - over the week I made a pickup and cut the shape for the pickguard. At first, I did an aluminum PG, but it just worked against the awesomeness of the orange. I cut a piece out of Garolite instead and sanded it do 400. I’ll clear coat it when I get home. I’ve seen some guys on TDPRI make lacquered Garolite pickguards and they look great. Here’s a photo of the bass laid out.