Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Build #3, Thread #1: My New Thinline Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freekmagnet, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    yes ,I am impressed.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  2. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Ventura County, CA
    It’s been a while since I’ve been able to do any finishing. There was the holidays, then I was in be with a bad head cold, and since I do most of my painting outdoors, the weather here in SoCal has been an issue. It’s held at a fairly steady 52°-56° in the shade where I spray, and it has been very windy. Neither condition has been very conducive for painting outdoors.

Anyway, I sprayed the back with a couple coats of dye stain - a mixture of 2 parts GF Medium Brown, 1 part GF Orange and 1 part GF Amber. The GF dye stain had a ton of color, so I cut it by 20% with their reducer. Looks pretty good - I’m going to seal it with Seal Coat, mask the back and hit the front with some orange.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    RogerC likes this.
  3. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Ventura County, CA
    I hit the front of the bass with some orange yesterday. Overall, it went OK! I had to sand it back once - the orange required a little more finesse out of my cheap spray gun than the medium brown mix did. It was no prob - I’d sealed the surface beforehand with de-waxed shellac. I think it looks pretty good!

[​IMG]

I have a little clean-up on the binding and then today, I might scrape the binding with a razor blade. It’s supposed to rain for a few days here in SoCal, so I probably won’t get to clear coating it for a while. The li’l Lady and I actually going on vacation this month - I was hoping to get this bad boy done before I left, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Ventura County, CA
    The word we use here in Southern California is, “Firme.”

[​IMG]

Zepfan and AAT65 like this.
  5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Wow, that looks great!! I do love the orange.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  6. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Ventura County, CA
    I just thought I’d share this - I had my first repair job come through my shop.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  7. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Ventura County, CA
    This week, the weather and work constraints didn’t allow for me to get any clear coating done. I have to coat the body and I have maybe another round of 6-8 coats to put on the neck. I was hoping to do it today, but it’s raining like crazy here in SoCal. I’ll just have to wait until we get back from our trip next week. No worries - over the week I made a pickup and cut the shape for the pickguard. At first, I did an aluminum PG, but it just worked against the awesomeness of the orange. I cut a piece out of Garolite instead and sanded it do 400. I’ll clear coat it when I get home. I’ve seen some guys on TDPRI make lacquered Garolite pickguards and they look great. Here’s a photo of the bass laid out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    boop and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.