Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Build #2 - Ash & Mahogany

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tnilc, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Tnilc

Tnilc TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Build #1 is wrapping up, so naturally, it's time to start #2!

The plan is to have an ash and mahogany body, maple neck and fretboard, single bridge humbucker, hardtail bridge all in a tele-esque shape. I might attempt biding on the body and fretboard as well... in black.

I don't have a joiner, or a planer and I'm garbage with a hand plane (still), so I take a different approach. First, I cut the long edges of the wood on my table saw to get a pretty straight and vertical cut. Then, I use that piece of marble in the picture (with the pink 120 grit sandpaper glued to it) to sand the gluing face so it's nice and flat and smooth. I got this piece of marble from my brother in law, but you can buy them at the home improvement store.. they sell them as thresholds for bathroom doorways.

IMG_0370.JPG

Then, I glue them up and clamp 'em:

IMG_0371.JPG

Got the body template all shaped up...

IMG_0377.JPG

Traced it onto my blank, and rough cut on the band saw:

IMG_0378.JPG

TigerG likes this.

2. Tnilc

Tnilc TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Alright, on to flattening and thicknessing...

First, I gotta get one side flat. I double stick tape the body to the bed of my crack-shack router-planer. I also hammer four finishing nails in there, then trim them to about 1/16". When I press the body on to the bed, the little nails will hold it in place, and since I'll be taking more than 1/16" off the other side, the holes will disappear. You really have to make sure the body can't rock around on you at this stage. It has to be very stable.

IMG_0381.JPG

I set the depth so I take off just enough material to get it "flat":

IMG_0382.JPG

Here we are, part-way through the action... check out that joint! Jointer.... pfffffft!

IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG

And here's the back, all nice and flat:

IMG_0385.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Tnilc

Tnilc TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Now, I've flipped it over and stuck it down with double sided tape. The tape works better now that the surface is flat, but it's still no time to be cheapin' out on tape.

I want the body to come out at 1-3/4". I'll probably sand it a little thinner than that, but it's good enough for the girls I go with:

IMG_0387.JPG

No, mid-thicknessing action shot, but it looks good afterward!

IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG

Now, I stick my body shape template on there with double-sided tape and get to work routing the final shape:
    IMG_0391.JPG

And...

IMG_0392.JPG

TigerG, Crafty Fox, GearHund and 6 others like this.

4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Nice! Nothing wrong with a lapping plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.