Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bugera v5 hum !

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Topdude, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Topdude

Topdude TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Hampshire UK
    Hi, just signed up and have a question about mains hum on my Bugera v5.
    I have read through the massive Bugera club thread and am in the process of trying the recommended bright mods and valve / tube swaps.
    My amp has the often mentioned mains hum, most noticeable on the 5w setting and least on the 0.1w setting. Although this has been mentioned by several people I have not seen anyone suggest a remedy ?
    I came across the Rat mod site where they say it can be fixed but of course they don't give any further information.
    Considering the wealth of excellent info on tweeking the sound there must be something somewhere about curing the hum ?
    Any thoughts gratefully received.
    Thanks Terry.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    First questions:

Have you checked your AC power source with an outlet tester ($60 at most hardware stores) to verify your outlet(s) are wired and grounded correctly? If not you should do this asap so you're not "hum chasing" over a problem that has nothing to do with the amp.

Is it the same with 1) single coil pickups, 2) humbuckings, 3) nothing plugged in, and/or is the guitar (if one is plugged in) near and/or facing the amp?

Is the amp plugged into the same outlet/extension as ....or are the amp or guitar anywhere near...TV, computer, monitor, AV equipment, appliances of any kind?

Are there fluorescent lights - including the small, "twisty" replacement bulbs - on the same circuit or in the same room?

Have you swapped power tubes? Single-ended amps inherently have *some* hum - there's NO avoiding it - and EL84's tend to be a bit more problematic than 6V6's.

Are you hearing hum with NO pedals? What type of cable?

It would help quite a bit if you posted a soundfile of the amp at idle and played clean. It hasn't been uncommon for small amp owners to do so and discover the hum is completely normal.

If you are set up any of the ways outlined above try changing things around (after verifying the outlet). "Environmental" hm inducers are actually the most common.

Last - it's not a great idea to mod anything in an amp that may have issues. Mods can exponentially complicate issues, especially because of lead dress issues. You should always fix (or eliminate the cause of) problems first.

Hope that helps!

VintageSG likes this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Thought about teaching it the words? :lol:

Sorry had to get in before anyone else..

4. Topdude

Topdude TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Hampshire UK
    Ok, thanks for the two replies, well the first one anyway !!

Spent some time checking things over the weekend -
    Nothing to do with mains power, florescent lights or other electrical appliances.
    Nothing to do with the guitar or cable.
    The amp starts to hum after the valves have warmed up with no guitar plugged in.
    Replaced both valves but made no difference. It is not a mechanical hum from the transformer but definitely amplified through the circuit.
    As said before it is fairly loud on the 5w setting but almost silent on the 0.1w setting. Unfortunately the 5w setting is the one recommended for best tone.
    Also other v5 owners have mentioned the same hum on their amp.
    So my question really is with all the work people have done regarding tone mods there must be something that can be done to silence the mains hum ?
    Thanks Terry.

5. Topdude

Topdude TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Hampshire UK
    Ok, just to answer my own question in case it helps someone else.
    After some digging around I found the v5 is based on the Epiphone Valve Junior and there is a LOT of modding information on that amp. Some of which is incorporated in the v5 already like DC supply to the valve heaters, and a few other noise reduction ideas which I will look into.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    What Silverface put sums it up really. I have owned a few single ended amps and they have all had some detectable hum. I have wasted shop owners time trying out amps, and all the single ended amps have hummed. Some worse than others.
    The worst offenders were all single 12AX7 + single EL84.
    Next on the scale of quietness came amps with more than one 12AX7 + single EL84, plus single 12AX7 + one 6V6. They're about equal. It's only when the money spent ramps right up do you start to get really quiet single ended amps. Or, build one yourself.
    There's a lot of stuff in the V5, a lot going off in a small space. There will be noise. Providing that noise doesn't interfere when playing, try and live with it. If it really grates, get shot of it and buy a push-pull amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.