Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Buffer question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TelePrankster, Oct 3, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm not stopping them. You seemed to be asking what was significant about placing the buffer at the front of the board.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Yup indeed - no problem

3. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2016
    Rome
    Less than a meter, I guess. I use EBS patches and they're very short and high quality.

4. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    A buffer takes a high impedance signal like that from a guitar and turns it in to a low impedance signal, that can drive long cables better.

You might like the way your gear interacts without a buffer, but you might also want to preserve your signal all the way to the amp. And if your amp is far away a buffer is likely necessary.

And unless you know the circuit of the pedal, saying stuff like all pedals are buffers is nonsens.
    What if a pedal has a 100K pot on the output that is only turnes up half way? Try running 30m of cable after that.

As always there is no answers and like I wrote you might like the sound whitout a buffer and thats cool. But unless you are tech savvy the best way is to just try with and without and see what you like best.

Regards,

Lars

5. phrunZ

phrunZ TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Germany
    Anybody compared the Mesa Stowaway Buffer to the Wampler db+? I really like the Mesa Boogie Stowaway but I like the idea of the Wampler to build a Buffer and Boost in one pedal (e.g. for a guitar change between Tele & Les Paul). I'm now wondering if the Wampler (Buffer only) can keep up with the Mesa Boogie... Any thoughts?

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I'll just leave this here and say in certain parts of your chain cable capacitance does matter.

[​IMG]

TelePrankster likes this.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Really? ANY pedal on all the time is a buffer?

Not trying to derail, but I have a small board, all true bypass but the Boss TR2 at the end of the chain. Thinking of getting a different tremolo, but that's my buffer. BUT, right next to it is an ALWAYS ON Biyang Tri Reverb, a true bypass. Thinking of upgrading that too, to a Topanga or Spring Theory, which would be always on.

Simple question. Do I need a buffered tremolo if I have a (true bypass) reverb pedal always on? Why or why not?

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    An always-on pedal will effectively function the same way a buffer does in a signal chain ,decoupling the devices in front of it from the effects of capacitance or impedance loading by the devices after it.

bigben55 likes this.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    That Biyang Tri Reverb that's always on has an input impedance of 1M ohm and an output impedance of 100K ohm. Is that sufficient to act as a buffer? If not, what parameters ARE?

My signal chain is guitar>15ft cord>Cry Baby>1ft cord>4 true bypass pedals with quality 3"patch cords>the Biyang>Boss TR2>15ft cord>amp. I've been wanting a different tremolo(my buffer currently). I know what buffers are and do, and all I'm wanting this one to do is "erase" the capaticance of that last 15ft of cord.ive been looking for a harmonic trem that's buffered, but if having that Tri Reverb on gets the buffering done, my options are greatly expanded. I hadn't thought of that.

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    This is true to the dismay of of many people who apparently don't understand what a buffer is.

The biyang should work fine as a buffer in your chain as long as the input impedance of the amp is sufficiently high. 100K output impedance can be a bit high in some circumstances, but amps usually have a high impedance. It's better to have the buffer as close to the front of the chain as possible, but if you only want to eliminate the capacitance of the last 15ft you're good.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Amp is a Dr Z Z28. Once I replace the trem, I'll put the reverb right before the amp. And when I replace the reverb, will looking for one with a LOWER output impedance than 100k ohms make it a "better buffer?" What's ideal?

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Most modern amps have a high input impedance. A 100k output on the reverb should be fine in front of the amp. Remove the TR2 and see how it sounds. If it sounds good, it is good. I wouldn't worry too much about trying find a reverb with lower output impedance.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm gonna replace the reverb pedal with a BETTER reverb pedal, like a Subdecay Super Spring Theory, Topanga, Mad Professor or Wampler. I'll pick the one I like the best, but since it'll be always on and "acting" as a bigger, output impedance IS something to consider.

14. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Not really. If the input impedance of the amp is sufficiently high, the output impedance can vary quite a bit without significantly affecting the tone and most well designed effects have output impedance low enough that it won't matter much. Picking the one with the lower output impedance is not really going to add any kind of benefit. Buy the one that sounds the best.

bigben55 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.