Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Budget "Baja" Tele-Like options?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Black-T, May 28, 2017.

1. Black-T

Black-T TDPRI Member

May 27, 2017
    CT
    Newbie here,
    Just awoke to the "T-ruth" about this timeless design; I'm 2-weeks blessed by my
    '12 Squier Tele Standard in Black body +Headstock!
    Love the Fender feel, BUT, I recently discovered the F-Classic Player Baja Telecaster neck.
    It's Perfect, 'cept, I'm broke. :rolleyes:
    Any Low-$ Squier options out there 4 me? Suggestions?
    Thanks All...

2. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The Baja 50s has a much chunkier neck than nearly all Squier Teles, so with neck profile you probably won't come close, IMO

Ok here;s my take on Squier Teles and their necks/pickups

Affinity teles tend to have thinner, slimmer necks, though I have owned the odd few that slip through the net. The Squier Affinity maple neck can play very sweet and smoothly and a new nut with widened string spacing can help. To get a chunkier neck on my old Affinity Tele, I just swapped necks for a Squier SE/Bullet strat one, which has a bit more heft in its profile.

The older Affinity teles with the rosewood board necks from the late 1990s have slightly chunkier necks, as do the Squier Standard Teles. These though are difficult to convert to 3 saddle bridge set-up which is also a big part of the Baja vibe.

The other big part or the Baja philosophy is the lairier pickups, which are the missing link between vintage and a bit louder. A Classic Vibe 50s would get you close-ish apart from the neck, there again the sound of a Broadcaster bridge pickup through a very warm tube amp, is something that is not easy to replicate.

Gigging again with my trusty Baja this coming weekend, serves me well

3. montemerrick

montemerrick TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2015
    not here
    IMO, the cheapest way to replicate the baja neck would be an allparts TMO-FAT (about 110 plus shipping from stratosphere for an unfinished neck without tuners or nut) and then sand it to a soft v profile... if you're up for the task - i just did one this way after searching in vain for a baja 50s like neck... mine is a little thicker at the first fret, but that was actually a positive for me... and hand sanding is a pretty safe activity... takes a while to really mess it up!

RHytonen likes this.

4. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    There's also the original Squier '51 run which is supposed to have a chunkier neck. You could find one and transplant it to your Telecaster.

savofenno likes this.

5. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Allpart's TMO-V should be very close to a Baja neck.

savofenno likes this.

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

If you're just after the vintage feel, then maybe you could get a nice Squier Cv50's.. though the neck is not even close to a Baja, it is still a good guitar, then upgrade the neck to a fatter one later on if you really cant stand the stock neck.

I used to own a Baja and nothing came close to that nice chunky neck.. I cant afford a AV52 so the Baja for me is the winner.. If you really like it, then maybe you could hold off for a few months and save up for it. You wont be spending more money to buy a neck or anything..

7. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I have not played the baja so i dont know how far off i am. The 200 dollar BSB affinity i just bought has a suprisingly chunky neck. It certainly isnt slim. Its thicker than my Squier CVthinline neck although not ridiculously thicker. The width at the nut may be half a mm smaller than the baja though.

8. montemerrick

montemerrick TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2015
    not here
    i had hoped so, bought one and found it quite lacking... much more slender. i replaced with the TMO-FAT modified to a v and it's much more in the ballpark...

savofenno likes this.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

See if you can buy a Baja neck (... Stratosphere might have one, or someone on ebay). Then mount that on anything else you want to run with. Barely any player uses/likes the 'S1 switch', but the 4-way switch is very popular. So whatever body chassis you end up with, try to source a 4-way switch (I've found them as low as $11 for oak-grigsby). Or get a regular MIM Tele neck.

Affinity Teles can have, but you need to look, chunkier necks. There is barely any difference in 'nut width' of all these necks (can you actually feel 1mm width difference?) the real change is the carve. The 'thin necks' often start the carve at the front corner of the fretboard while the chunky necks don't start carving until behind the fretboard glue line so the fretboard edge is square.

10. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The problem seems to be that people are selling those Baja necks for about what a used Baja costs complete on the online sites. It makes no sense to me at all, but if you could find a cheap one, that would be the answer since the S-1 is no great feature anyway for most....I ditched mine the first day.

When I bought my 50's Baja, it was used at $550 about a year ago local. I made the deal of $450 and let him keep the S-1 assembly. Necks on fleabay at the time were running $325 which still amazes me.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm surprised to hear folks don't like the S1 switch. I've just started playing a Baja and the S1, 4-way, and the neck are what distinguish it. The combination of the fourth position and the S1 gives a pretty good approximation of a Strat quack. The ability to add a Strat like sound to a tele without losing any of the three base tele settings is a huge benefit of this guitar to me. Well, and the neck obviously...

-Ray

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Ray, the S-1 switch contributes to the excess noise of the Baja, and, the S-1 will fail on you in time if used. I've got 7 Bajas and had two S-1s fail on me.

Also, the sounds reached by pressing that button, while they may see cool and interesting for a while, will get on the nerves of most people eventually. There's so many other possible settings (cocked wah, etc.) that could've been chosen. I was a cheerleader for the additional sounds in the 2007-2010 era but now, they just seem very old to me.

13. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2012
    The mighty mite neck 2905v approaches the baja shape. Not exact but close. Not the finest necks made, but certainly better than the affinity. $125 or so on the 'bay.

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    TMO-Fat necks are fine- but have taller, thinner frets than a Baja- an excellent handful but not the big-and-modern vibe of a Baja.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.