Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Brownie - really??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by eddie knuckles, Mar 7, 2013.

1. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

2. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

A no-brainer for a CS special release. One of the iconic Strats. At that price, it should be autographed by EC. I'm sure he's getting a cut.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Holic

Have they all been touched by Eric?

("Touched by Eric" could be the name of a new Custom Shop line...)

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

As for the price, I suspect they know their intended market.

7. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Normal rules apply here, if you don't have 15K to spend on one, don't.

Funny that the pics show the builder doing the exact things I've seen other people criticize the CS over, i.e. shaping the neck on a sander rather than a CNC etc.

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Have you seen Gibson's prices for CS special releases, or even some of their regular Custom Shop reissues (*cough* 1959 Korina Flying V RI for $12,000 *cough*)? $15k doesn't look too bad, especially for such an iconic guitar.

"The guitar comes in a special black textured vinyl Derek and the Dominos “Fragile” case that also contains several special extras, including a numbered certificate of authenticity hand-signed by Clapton, the 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition box set of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, a Fender Custom Shop story and photo album booklet, and a Crossroads Antigua brochure."

9. Trout

Trout Tele-Holic

These are fundraiser guitars.

If you read the fine print on the Guitar Center ad's, it says this:

"A significant portion of the proceeds will benefit The Crossroads Centre."

The Crossroads Centre is a rehab facility. These guitars are part of the Eric Clapton Crossroads fundraiser held at Madison Square Garden next month. I wish I could attend, but I'll have to wait for the DVD.

10. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

The one thing that strikes me as odd about this guitar is that they're installing a 5 way switch in there. When did these start becoming available that EC would have been able to put one in there?

And interestingly, it's a vintage 71/4in radius nect which kind of suggests that our current requirements for flatter radius guitars is somewhat silly given that some of blues rock's most iconic solos with plenty bending was done on the original radius neck and I can't hear any choked notes in there!

I'd love to have one of these but I guess they're destined to become collector's items only - and let's face it who would spend that amount of money on an instrument and then take it to a pub gig - unless there were at least several armed guards with you??!!

I'm sure these will be as exact replicas of the original as is possible but for us mere mortals, I'm sure one of the lesser CS models would fit the bill very nicely.

11. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

It IS a guitar for collectors, as are the Clapton/Harrison Les Paul (also $15k), the Martin models (big bucks), and Fender tweed amps being brought out.

There is no reason for a player to "need" one of these, but if you are a well-heeled collector, it costs less than a lot of postage stamps do.

Buy a CS relic or MIM Road Worn (or build something) in your price range if you want a player. No need to complain about the price of a collector guitar built to be a collector guitar. Your playing would sound the same on a basic MIM strat to everyone in the audience anyway.

George

12. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Not being a Clapton expert, I need someone to explain why we need a Brownie clone. I thought Brownie was the Strat Clapton didn't play, in favor of the beloved and iconic Blackie. Didn't Blackie's neck come from Brownie, or something like that? Is this a $15K tribute to an also-ran?

13. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

Got Google? Here is the Wiki article on Brownie. It was used for Layla et al which is not insignificant music, and the original Brownie fetched $450k at auction (also for charity purposes):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(guitar)

It is more famous than any of my guitars will ever be and likely more famous than any of yours. As I said, it's a charity piece, probably a decent player, and not worth the money for a player guitar.

It's just wood, metal, and wire...just like Blackie, which sold for $959,000.

George

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

15. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Truly interested not looking to slag the git as I think it's a beaut but what did a 56 cost in 67?

16. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

The Wiki article I linked said that Clapton paid $400 for the guitar in 1967. I swapped a '64 SG Junior that I paid $125 for even up for a '62 strat in 1970.

I also bought a 1970 Hemi Cuda for $2400 in 1974 (and flipped it for $4200 later that year) and saw one sell on Barrett Jackson for half a million a few years ago.

It's just wood and metal with collector/player value attached to it.

I recently swapped a Gretsch and some additional bucks for a new Eric Johnson strat recently, making it the most expensive guitar in terms of my investment. It's SO freaking good though... But I also play MIM teles at outdoor gigs. Nobody in the audience will ever notice or care...

George

17. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

If you're buying anything for a fundraiser then you shouldn't expect bargain prices or. high value. Similarly, when a political candidate has a $500 a plate fundraiser dinner, the guests aren't going to be served $500 worth of food.

18. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info.

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I remember back in 1980, while in college, you could still pick up a ton of older strats for $300 to $400. It was years before the vintage rush and nobody really wanted an old beat up guitar. There were walls of them in the music stores in Spokane and Seattle. If I could time travel I would go back there and buy them all.

From my link above, you can read my review having played one of the Brownie reissues. That neck was interesting but not quite my cup of tea.

20. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

And to round out the picture, the Consumer Price Index for 2013 is about 6x what it was in 1969. A new strat was about $300 in 1969, making the equivalent dollars about $1800 today. That would buy a nice Custom Deluxe Strat these days, or get you close to a vintage reissue '57 or something like that.

A cheap Japanese guitar, barely playable, was about $50 back then, and the equivalent $300 would buy a nice MIM or Asian Vintage Vibe guitar these days which would be VERY nice and playable.

A new Twin Reverb was $500 list, maybe $400 selling price, which would come close to a $3k handwired amp these days.

A cheap new car in 1969 like a VW Beetle was about $2k, making that about $12k now. A new car would be a bit more these days, but would have a lot more standard equipment, safety gear, etc.

George

21. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Well, that's it in a nutshell isn't it? Well said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.