Brownface Dilemma a 6G2 vs 6G3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleman78, Jul 19, 2018.

1. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

True, on a second thought I'm now thinking 6G2 Lunchbox since I already have a really nice and light weight 2x10 cab I could use, it will also save me some $$$... As Jim says: "Decisions, decisions, decisions..."

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  2. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Now that I'm getting really close, as always cost is a major deciding factor (unfortunately), the more I think about it the more I'm inclined for the lunchbox, the difference between the 6G3 and 6G2 in lunchbox version is only $70, so for this difference I feel going for the 6G3 is a no brainer. Now if we talk about combo or standard head the difference is $300 and up from 6G2 vs 6G3. Getting really close here guys..

3. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

I love the lunchbox format in my Dawgs.

teleman78 likes this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Let me give you a counterpoint on the lunchbox form factor. They look cool, and function fine, but mine didn't balance at all on my extension cab, so I had to rig a small bench or table nearby -- awkward to set up, to move, and hard on floor space. As Darkness says, if that's not an issue, don't worry. If I'd known how it woulda worked out for me, I'd have got an actual head.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, and $, $, $, so do what's best for you. :)

teleman78 likes this.
  5. ocduff

ocduff TDPRI Member

The 6G3 is a really well designed "small" amp. On paper it's better designed than the 5E3, but I'd be hard pressed to say it sounds "better".

The 6G2 has more tweed DNA

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Difference are VERY subtle as far as actual sound goes.

FAR more important is the speaker setup - combo or cab, type of construction/materials, specific speaker(s).

That is going to be the "money shot".

7. guitback1

guitback1 TDPRI Member

Probably too late to be of any help, but 6G3 is one of the best amps I've ever owned. Like an idiot, I sold it back in late 90's. Finally built a clone and I use it all the time. I use an A/B box to go back and forth between the channels. What's more, is sometimes I run both! That right there...is a fairly glorious experience!

John How and jsnwhite619 like this.
  8. evanforbass

evanforbass TDPRI Member

Hey y'all. I'm in the same boat of deciding on a new amp to replace my Princeton Reverb RI Limited Edition w/ Celestion Alnico blue 1x12". It's a beautiful sounding amp, especially clean, I just can't get an overdriven sound that I'm happy with--too much bass, spiky highs, no real warmth or presence in the mids. So I've been researching the brownface platform as a potential better fit, with a more pronounced midrange. Also dat tremelo. Looking mainly at Lil Dawg, with ChocoPrince or ChocoDawg. I will play mostly at home but also want something I can play with a band. My hope is that at playing-with-drummer volume, the amp would be in mild break-up territory but not completely raunchy.

I'm pretty set on going with a 1x12 combo either way. I think I've been gleaning that the 6g2 and 6g3 have different headroom/break-up. So I'm wondering what might be my best option.. where would 6g2 Chocoprince rated at like 18w get me compared to a 20w 6g3 ChocoDawg (Jim said he's pretty flexible with wattage and power)? Disclaimer- I'm no expert on amp tech.

also... speaker choice.. sigh. open to recommendations there.

9. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I recently built a 6g2 and love it but it looks like I’m gonna be playing out and I’d like a little more so I think I’m gonna built th 6g3 as well...I’d like to set up a channel switch scenario but we’ll see...the deluxe should have a bit more headroom I’d guess...both are great...

10. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Tele-Meister

He lost me at “The Hitmaker”...

FRANKENJAG and dannyh like this.
  11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

6G2 is practically a Fender Excelsior circuit wise. 6G3 through an EV 12L is Ted Nugent...

LordByron likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, that PRRI can be modded to yield more midrange. And....welcome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.