Brown: 6G2 or 6G3?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JohnnyCrash, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Alright, I need to build another amp, it's been too long :)

I want to keep it to two preamp tubes (including the PI)... SS rectifier, dual 6V6 power section.

I'm thinking of a modified Brown Princeton (6G2) or a modified (single channel) Brown Deluxe (6G3)... with the trem gutted from the circuit.

I'm talking ghetto simple. Volume (with built-in Champ style on/off switch), Tone, one or two inputs. I've already got a 1x12" cab I can throw it into.

How would you guys say the Brown Princeton's PI sounds?

I'm leaning towards the 6G3 Deluxe right now...

2. jtmdes

jtmdes Tele-Meister

I say go for the deluxe. I've been wanting to do a stripped down deluxe with long tail pair PI, fixed bias and no trem for a while now. I was always thinking along the lines of the trem stripped out of a Tweed Tremolux.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

There is always the Harvard 5F10.

4. JohnnyCrash

I'm leaning this way too. I have a PT and OT that'll handle the job.

NOOOO! More choices? HAHA!

OK, I'll go over all the video clips for all three. Keep the opinions coming...

5. skinner

skinner TDPRI Member

Brown Note 18W Lite?

6. JohnnyCrash

The OT is pretty heavy duty, so I'm not sure if it would serve the 6G2 Princeton's sound... starting to lean towards a modified 6G3 Deluxe. Single channel, no trem, maybe a PPIMV.

#1 no kits.
    #2 already built an 18w Lite.

7. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Johnny, I havemore experience with the 6G2 than with the 6G3. IT's a pity that these 6G amps were made for such a short time, isn't it?
    I just bought back a 6G2 that I sold about 5 years ago. The young fellow who bought it from me had upgraded a non-original Pyle speaker--not to bad of a speaker---with a WEber Blue Pup ceramic. He also installed some Brimar 6V6's. This little amp pumps it out! That larger OT won't hurt the 6G2 sound...just make it bigger, right? IME, the 6G2 is a great amp. Build one of each....LOL... I am going to think that the 6G2 starts that OD just a bit earlier...I coudl be wrong. The ones I have had lean strongly to the tweed side of things. The 6G3 is closer to the BF amp, it seems...long-tailed PI and higher voltages.

9. Cliff Schecht

Cliff Schecht Tele-Holic

Deluxe! As cool as Wally's 6G2 is (and clean) I am a huge fan of the Deluxe sound. I tend to use oversized iron and aim for a vintage-accurate B+ so that the amp sounds vintage-correct but doesn't suffer from a lack of bass or treble response when pushing the amp hard. I have way too much fun just diming my Deluxe (5C3, much different circuit mind you) and modulating clean/dirty/lead with my volume and tone.

10. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

Have you looked at the "Phat Ass" designs that they're doing over at the Weber Forum? Parallel triode preamp, Vol, Tone, LTP PI, cathode biased power tubes. I think the original design had a 6V6 power section, but they've been trying EL34's and KT66's, too.

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

12. laird

laird Tele-Holic

I built a souped-up 6G2 clone (SS rect, 350v B+, Deluxe OT, 10A125).... I added a grid stopper to the cathodyne and shrunk the first stage's bypass cap, but otherwise it's basically stock. It's incredibly rich and musical when playing clean to moderate overdrive, and the tremolo is legendary. Its weakness is that it gets harsh when pushed really hard. If you want the cleans and the tremolo, go 6G2. If you want to push the crap out of the amp, go 6G3.

-Laird

13. Cliff Schecht

Cliff Schecht Tele-Holic

Heck even the 6G3 might need some extra measures to really be able to dime the amp. 6V6's are pretty easy to overdrive and sound great doing so when the amount of signal going in is limited. If the PI doesn't clip at the right point, the 6V6 grids can start shifting more negative and cause the annoying fizzy crossover distortion issue. TBH I haven't studied the 6G3 that much in the past but I am now interested in building one. Thanks Johnny, the last thing I need is another amp.. :p

14. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Instead of a PPIMV, how about splitting the anode resistors on the PI and taking the output from each of the nodes, put it on a switch, you can choose a coupling cap of each node to compliment that output level.

Why no trem? you could do it with a FET pretty easily. LND150 can be subbed directly for a 12ax7, but it has a lot more balls, both in gain and current, TO92 package takes up no room

15. JohnnyCrash

OK, now I'm really confused...

I think the extra OT I have is for 6L6's/EL34's. I guess I could build a Brown Deluxe with 6L6's and no trem.

I also have a small OT from an old EL84 cathode biased amp (suitable for 6V6's cathode biased too, no?)... so I could perhaps do something old Gibson instead of Brown Fender. IDK.

It looks like two amps are in my future - a fixed bias 40-50w and a cathode biased 15w.

I want to keep things simple. I also only want a Volume and maybe a Tone control. Or even just a Volume and a PPIMV. Just two controls.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IME, there is nothing harsh about a Fender 6G2...and I dime them. With all due respect, the amp that Laird has built is not a 6G2. Teh real 6G2's that I have had are full of great dsitortion when pushed as hard as you can push one.
    All of this is of no consequence for Johnny Crash now, though, since his parts don't allow for a 6G2 anyway. With that OT, JOhnny, I would suggest you build a 6G5-A Pro with the tapped treble pot. My '63 prototype BF PRo..no serial number on the chassis.....has the tapped treble pot, and it sounds like no other BF amp that I have heard. Ya'll may be tired of hearing this....but I am proud of this one. This amp is something special. '000 A' in old man pencil scrawl where the stamped serial number should be. The 'A' is cyrillic as was Leo's 'L'.

FRANKENJAG likes this.
  17. Cliff Schecht

Cliff Schecht Tele-Holic

That's something we'll never get tired of.. It's too cool!

18. JohnnyCrash

I think I've got it...

For the 40-50 watt iron I'll do a Brown Deluxe preamp and PI - with no Tone control or Trem - and just a Volume and PPIMV for controls. From there it'll simply go to 6L6's instead of 6V6's :)

I'm not sure what to do with the 15w OT on the other hand... any ideas? I've already got an 18watt and a 5E3.

19. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Whaddyou plan to use this thing for? Gigging, or just cranked-up noodling in the house? Since the latter is all I do these days, my vote's for using the itty-bitty OT and 6V6's.

If you really want to grok the 6G2/6G3 vibe, you'll want to keep the voltages down. What PT do you have in mind?

- Scott

20. JohnnyCrash

Mainly I want to use this extra iron up and have two projects... secondly of course is to have two working amps that sound good :)

I've got a 50w Marshall style set PT and OT on the one hand - and a lower voltage (250-290) PT with a 15w OT on the other hand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.