Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brooklyn Builds

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cain74, Dec 7, 2017.

1. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    I work in the design department of a large retailer. We are currently remodeling our downtown Brooklyn store and part of the project required demoing a large portion of the building.
    The project manager knows I'm into wood working and sent me a photo of all of the wood floor joists that were going to be pitched. The building was constructed in 1860 something, we're talking old timbers! He somehow convinced someone to save a few of the timbers. Score! Next problem, they are in Brooklyn and I'm in Cincinnati. The PM found someone to drive them down to Cincinnati! I think someone someone a favor or two.
    From the delivery I recieved two floor joists. They were 3x13x8'! I figured I could build a few guitars from that. So for my second and third guitar builds I am making a telecaster with humbuckers for a coworker who worked on the project and one for my 12 daughter for Christmas. Time to make some saw dust!

TigerG likes this.

2. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    The wood is some type of pine or fir.

I'm trying to post pics from my phone,but having issues. (Hold please)

3. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here is a shot of one of the two boards cut in half and sent through the planer.

Attached Files:

DrASATele and Mat UK like this.

4. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    And here is one of the halves cut in half once planed to thickness. Unfortunately my band saw can only resaw up to 12" so I had to turn about an 1.5" into dust. I was also told all of the nails had been pulled. WRONG! The heads of the nails were ripped out. the rest of the nail was still there. I now need to get a new set of planer blades. Getting the rest of the nails out turned into a real chore. The were the original hand made nails.

Attached Files:

wayloncash and BorderRadio like this.

5. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here is a shot of one of the blanks strapped in ready to be cut. All nails removed. I used a magnet this time to check the board.

Attached Files:

wayloncash likes this.

6. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    This is my daughters guitar. I like the grain pattern on the side of the guitar. Does anyone have an idea what type of wood this is?

Attached Files:

wayloncash likes this.

7. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here is a shot of the back. I like how the nails have blacked the wood. I am filling them in with clear epoxy.

Attached Files:

8. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    This is the one for my friend at work.

Attached Files:

Mat UK likes this.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Cool score!
    Too bad about the nails, at least you didn't chip a set of 36" plane blades...
    Most mill shops refuse to plane used lumber for this reason.
    When working in a boat shop where we planed live timber with the bark still on, sometimes we would hit a nail that was grown into the tree from fencing, or even a forgotten maple sugar tap.

10. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    For finishes my friend's is pretty straight forward, black binding with Amber body. For my daughters I was think a worn denim look with white binding and blk,wht,blk pick guard.

Like this.
    http://rebel-guitars.com/scala-guitars-t-rod-prototype-in-worn-denim/

It looks like they stained the wood black and then sanded it back. Then stained it blue and sanded back and then shot it with clear. Am I right?

11. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Holy **** did you finish your coffee in the time it took to mill two bodies?

esetter likes this.

12. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    I would hate to think what replacement blades for a 36" planer go for.

Chip.Lindsey and telemnemonics like this.

13. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    My machine only takes about 15-20 minutes to carve a tele.

telemnemonics likes this.

14. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Those old boards are some great guitar material, very nice!

You are right about them being some type of pine, back then we still had stands of virgin timber. Trees you could cut 3"x13"x?' boards from were the norm. I've seen a small stand of virgin old growth pines near Clarion, Pennsylvania that are protected in a state park. It must have been a glorious sight to see such a forest stretching to the horizon! It would be safe to say that your wood came out of the north-east U.S.

A very nice favor that project manager did you. I worked as a project superintendent for many years and always did my best to steer as much demo material as I could to be recycled. When ever I could, I would give Habitat for Humanity a heads-up and give them a salvage opportunity for their own use or for their ReSale Store.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

TigerG, wayloncash and BorderRadio like this.

15. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Those are looking mighty nice already!!

16. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH

17. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That's great, did you build it or is it a factory made machine?
    I've seen some plans and builds and it looks like a doable project.

18. cain74

cain74 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    It was a kit from cncrouter parts. Great machine. It as 51"x51" build envelope

Newbcaster likes this.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Former Brooklyn kid here:

Do you know the location of the store?

20. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    My money says that is long leaf pine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.