Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Broke the fretboard

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Voicing 13, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Well, the project went from bad to worse. Let me explain... Almost two years ago I bought a USACG tele neck; it was on special. Nice soft V contour and a little under an inch in thickness. The neck did not get used for the guitar project I originally intended. A year or so later I decide to have a professional add screw inserts. More time passes and I decide to put the neck to an Esquire build.

Well, turns out the insert were not at the right place. It wasn't just my build as I also checked with a Warmoth body.

Today decided to remove the inserts and plug the holes. Used a screw rescue kit and went throughout the fret board:(. My fault, as what I thought was it getting a good grip, was it really digging in the wood.

Attached Files:

2. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Pic 2

Attached Files:

3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    oh man that stinks- maybe glue and clamp?

4. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Pic 3

Attached Files:

5. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Yes, yes it does but like you suggested, I tried a clamp on it and I think that will work. Getting the glue in will be a little tricky but doable. I'll use a straw and a syringe.

6. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    That being said, my father in-law and I managed to get the inserts out. The we're coiled inserts. You grab the beginning of it and pull carefully. It simply unravels.

Attached Files:

7. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    The dreaded Helicoils! I'm no expert but I think you might have to take off that last fret to properly glue the board.

8. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    That certainly looks repairable, particularly if you have (or can make) a caul that will fit over the fret and hold it down to the right radius. The brass cauls that StewMac makes for fret pressing would be perfect.

Hiker likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If I could make my cheap Eden paddle neck work for my 12, you can fix that.

And look at the frets we're talking about.

I'm 60, been playing almost 50 years, and don't think I've ever fretted that high.

10. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Hey,
    Just thought I'd update. Not a perfect fix but should affect playability. At least I font think so. The fret seems to be close enough to the radius. After a fret levelling it should matter.

Ira7: lol, the fret wire is 6150 I believe.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

boredguy6060 likes this.

11. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    One more pic

Attached Files:

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Looks workable! ;-)

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    You can touch that up with a fine rosewood dust/super glue (thin viscosity) slurry.
    You'll have to remove the fret.
    Looks like a pretty good "save", so far!

14. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks! I not comfortable removing a fret. Never done that. I was hoping to just level and go.

Oh and the pic in #11 is the wrong one. That's a broken one, miss selected the picture. Sorry.

15. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    I have a question. Would anyone have the measurement as to where I should re-drill the screw holes? I may want to change this neck to another project in the future and would like it to be as exact as I could.

Thanks everyone!

16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I have never counted on neck holes to fit from one body to the next. I mean , often they do , but I always plan to plug and re drill.

Commodore 64 and Piggy Stu like this.

17. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    You put the neck on the new body, check alignment, and mark the position for the holes through the body. So you don't have to plug it a third time.

Thanks for posting this, for I saw a guitar on sale with such damage to the end of the fretboard (missing chunk) and I was wondering how it happened?

18. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Yeah, if you want to take a neck to new body, you have to plug and redrill, IME.

19. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    LowCaster: the body is not yet build but I have a Warmoth tele body which I am planning on selling. I may use that one to mark the neck. Thanks

Viking and Commodore64: I hear you. I was just looking for standard hole placement. I've done the plug and re-drill routine enough time with low end guitars that aren't to specs etc. Drove me nuts last time I did it. This a USACG neck that cost me a fair amount of money and I trusted the wrong person. Now, I'm just want to make sure it's back to specs, so I can move it around. It's a frustrating experience.

Also, the last fret looks a little raised still. I may bring it in to a music store near here. The tech told me he would charge me about 25$ to replace the fret.

Thanks everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.