Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Broadcaster Pickup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by remmert, Nov 15, 2004.

1. remmert

remmert TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I'm ready to buy a Broadcaster-type pickup to finish off my Esquire project. I've been bouncing around the Fender Nocaster, the Duncan Vintage Broadcaster, and the Bill Lawrence L-290T. I'm looking for something brash and ballsy, but not over-the-top rockin' like the quarter pound Tele pickup I'm getting rid of. I want it to still sound like a badass Telecaster, just not a Tele on steroids. Any preferences for any of these pickups? Any other advice? Thanks for all of your input in advance!

2. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    You can't go wrong with the Nocaster or Broadcaster. Personally, though, I prefer the Broadcaster.
  3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Ditto on the SD Broadcaster best all around bridge pickup for the $$. Look for a used one.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mk

mk Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Austin, TX
    You might also keep your eyes open for an early Nocaster pickup (the 10k version). Lots of punch, but still vintage tele.
  6. remmert

remmert TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2003

Wish I'd asked earlier, I'd beeen watching a SD Broadcaster pickup and let it go on went for 33.50 plus 7.50 shipping...seems like a pretty decent bargain...

7. lenny

lenny Banned

easy come easy go..
    er sumthin
  8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    It's hard to beat a Duncan Broadcaster, IMO.
  9. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
  10. TwinReverb

TwinReverb Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I'd say

A Voodoo Broadcaster.
    Slightly darker sounding and very ballsy but still vintage.

11. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    SD Broadcaster is my main pup.

For more midrange punch, the SD Jerry Donahue.
  12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The Duncan Broadcaster is the only Tele bridge pickup that I use. Love'm, for the exact reasons that you described.

Of course most used pups are cheap enough that you can afford to experiment a little, to find the right one for you.

One word of caution is this - you can easily get tangled up in every little slight nuance of different pickups...even within the same model, and that can become a huge distraction, without you even realizing it! "The seach" can actually take away from your playing.

So once you find something that you're relatively happy with, try to stick with it for a while.
  13. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2004
    OK, USA
    Brilliant minds (sic) think alike...

I just scored the SD Broadcaster from E-bay...

One of our own members was kind enough to respond to a PM I sent last night (regarding a neck pup and wiring). I just love this forum.

Once I get the partscaster together, and gig it...I'll certainly post my thoughts.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.