Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

broadcaster for sale in UK

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by lycheelassi, May 12, 2018.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I don't imagine there'll be too many of that model, that age and that condition / authenticity. Therefore, the price is set accordingly. Aimed at the moneyed aficionado, I suspect, so that counts me out....

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I calculated that comes in at about $117,000 AUD but you would get closer to $250,00 AUD in Australia if it went to auction.
    Remarkably good condition as it is a little older than me.

3. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age 55) Canada
    Looks like the stars are lining up for you on this one Dan. Haven't you been gassing for a blackguard? And this one is in your country, no less! :cool:

In the spirit of things, maybe I can take that ugly old beat up '60 off your hands? ;) :D

Last edited: May 14, 2018

4. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

I love old guitars and am both intrigued and surprised by the value that we ascribe to them.

At its most basic level it is a couple of pieces of wood, with a smattering of metal, and plastic.

As we all know, in our hearts they are so much more than that…

Having seen the price being asked for the 1950 Broadcaster, I began thinking to myself “How has does it compare to other potential ‘investments’ from back then?”

First, the caveats...

1) All my figures are in GB pounds, because I’m from the UK! But the ratios broadly hold true, whatever the currency.
    2) These are all generalised figures, there will always be exceptions.

OK then, let's move on... What did a Broadcaster cost in 1950?

According to Duchossoir, it was $170 which, at the exchange rate of the time (35.08p to the Dollar), was equivalent to £59.64p

If it achieves the asking price of £65,000, that give a multiplier of 1,089

Not bad, but could we have 'earned' more over the years?

Searching the internet for alternative ways to have invested my imaginary £59.64 back then, came up with the following results…

Gold has increased in value by 82 times and would be worth £4,890

UK property prices have risen by 87 times £5,188

Shares have increased in value by 1,080 times £64,411

But, leading the field by a country mile, is investing the money in fine wines. Assuming it was possible to buy ‘shares’ in a wine portfolio back then, your £59.64 would have given the magnificent increase in value of 4,780 times!

Which equates to a modern day value of £285,079

Crikey!

So, in the years since it was made, the value of the Broadcaster has exceeded gold and property prices, kept pace with the general stocks & shares market, but is way behind fine wines.

What does that all mean?

I don’t have a clue, I was just curious to find out!

5. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    Interesting calculation!.....the wine thing staggers me though!.....are they all just flipping the stuff between collectors or do they cash in and sell to some show off who then "impresses" by drinking the price of a small house with some buddies at one sitting?....at least you won't be flushing your Broadcaster down the toilet after playing it.....

Jason Hutchinson likes this.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I should have become a dentist!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tonetele likes this.

7. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Wrong, it was actually bought by a pro musician in London and will be played on stage on a regular basis. He's not that well known either but runs a very successful theatre show called Seven Decades.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Blimey! Well, at least it's going to get some use. Although I've collected a few guitars over the last 12-18 months, I wouldn't want to see any sitting and just gathering dust.

9. Telemanic49

Telemanic49 TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2016
    UK
    :cry: This reminds me of the totally original Broadcaster a guy tried selling to me in 1982. It was way over-priced and I told him he was nuts. The reason for the :cry: is because he was only asking for...

£500!!!

That's roughly £1,800 or $2,500 in today's money. :rolleyes: I had no idea back then what I was being offered. I remember telling him I could buy two new Tokais for that price! We live and learn. Actually, I'm not so sure about the learning part. :(

PeterUK likes this.

10. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    I’m presuming he’s had a small lottery win as I don’t know too many musicians who could spend that much on a single instrument.

Great to hear it will be bought and used for what it was designed and built to do.

:) Peter

lycheelassi likes this.

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I was offered Broadcaster #0014 25 years ago when I just got into vintage Fenders. I remember offering 3k, which I thought was a lot but the owner laughed at me.. I just found out that the guitar is still in Holland.

12. gibson-dog

gibson-dog TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2010
    holand

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

That crack where the 2-piece body is glued together can bee seen on the front and back. Is it structurally sound?

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It might just be the glue joint has shrunk over time making the line in the paint finish look like a crack
    The plug in the headstock is a bit strange, either when the neck was built someone got their angles wrong or the actual neck has had a new radius put on it

15. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    No lotto win. You'd be surprised just how many pro's are buying these five figure guitars right now. Not including Joe B who buys at least one a week. Brian Ray, Greg Koch and Greg Martin have all recently purchased old blackguard Tele's.

16. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Berlin
    i wonder if there is any kind of sponsoring/investing of a third party involved. since joe b‘s ownership brings value up in resale. and he is constantly trading/reselling stuff. i am not sure if 2 Vs are really in hie budget...

17. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    That might explain a few things.
    I've had an increase in "cold calls" to see if I am willing to sell Grandpa's Nocaster this year.
    Most are the usual music stores or someone who saw it on FB, looking for a deal.
    The rest are players or collectors who make serious offers. That's pretty new... I'm getting an average of a call a month like this now.
    Doesn't sound like much, I know... But it's more than I was getting the last couple of years. Offering more now, also.
    Things that make you go hhmmmm...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.