Broadcaster bridge pickups... any fans? please share your views on them

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DHart, Feb 13, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Rob - thanks for the reply. And, I totally agree... for a pickup to be named "Broadcaster" it really should have the original specs (43AWG around A3 rods).

So, the name "Broadcaster" doesn't necessarily apply, properly/technically, to every version of the pickup that is called "Broadcaster". And, Fender isn't the only pickup maker to produce a "Broadcaster" named pickup that varies from the original specs (using A5 mags, for example).

Nomenclature aside, since Fender claims that the "Broadcaster" bridge pickup that they used in the 2012 American Standard Tele has an A5 magnet (mentioned in the Fender 2012 Catalog)... and the resistance measures out at 7.3k, if you had to speculate, would you say that the pickup likely uses 42AWG wire?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

7.3k is easy to hit with either 42 or 43 wire on a tele bridge pickup, with the expected different resulting output and tone for each. for big ballpark numbers, 7.3k with 43 will be about 7500 turns and about 9000 with 42 ... but a lot will depend on coil wire tension during the winding as more will up the resistance as the wire thins from increased tension.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have the Twisted Tele/ Broadcaster in my Tele. I see no reason to change them

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Makes sense. So, it's just as likely that Fender wound the pickups with 42awg or 43awg? (The reason I am so interested in trying to know this, is so that I will know what specs are contributing to the tonal response that I'm hearing from this pickup.)

I've bought six pickups from you (and I love 'em!) but have been wondering... when you wind, do you use hand-guided winding, where you can vary both the tension and the winding with your hands?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  5. Rob DiStefano

exactly. who cares about labels of anything, it's the substance that matters most. the bottom line is how a pickup will work its butt off to help ya create good music.

DHart likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Product labels are useful, so we can more easily discuss products. But they can mislead, as well! :rolleyes:

I totally agree, the name isn't what really matters... it's how it sounds! And, it's great to know what specs (magnets, wire gauge, # of turns, etc.) contribute to the tones that you are hearing.

7. Rob DiStefano

yep, hand guided and not "hand wound". i can't imagine wrapping wire around a bobbin by hand, thousands and thousands and thousands of turns for each bobbin. heck, it'd take me forever and i'd wind up in a new looney bin with carpel tunnel! :D though my dad started winding his own single coils in mid '50 using a phonograph turn table (what?!? :) ) at 78rpm. this last winder i put together runs full tilt boogie at 4300rpm. :eek: :twisted: :)

Bruxist likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Great! They sure sound awesome.

I think it's really cool that you're a second generation winder!

Do you envision returning to Texas someday, or is NJ where you prefer to be?

9. Rob DiStefano

jersey is hell, texas is heaven. that sez it all. :mad:

Bruxist and DHart like this.
  10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I understand completely. I hope that someday you may be able to return to "heaven" on earth! :)

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Rob.. one more question, a request for a recommendation, actually.

I need another bridge pickup for a Tele.

My favorite Tele bridge pickups that I have now are your 51/52 and the 2012 Fender "Broadcaster" I just got that is 7.3k DCR, likely A5 magnet, and wild guess... 42AWG wire?

I'm tempted to order another 51/52 (42AWG A3 7.8k). Or, a Nashville Lion (42AWG A5 8.2k).

How would the tone of the Nashville Lion change, if it were slightly under-wound to 7.5k or so?

Keep in mind the two pickups above that I love the sound from. I prefer a clean, clear, overtone-rich/detailed sound. I'm not into "hot" sounding pickups at all.

What would you recommend, from what I've described?

12. Rob DiStefano

your thinking sounds good to me. not a nashville, not a bakersfield, some middle ground of 42 over a5. though i offer a buncha pickup "models", they're just variations on coil wire turn counts, for the most part. when dealing with a tele/esquire bridge pickup bobbin footprint, a thousand turns of 42 over any flavor of rod magnet will render *subtle* changes in tone that *may* be hard to perceive with the human ear, but it will be there, no doubt, because the engine has been modified. in essence, it's just a matter of fiddling with the coil wire turn count, and that's always an option on any pickup i offer - just make note of what you require in the custom options box. no added fee, either. :cool:

Bruxist, DHart and 0utputXfmr like this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I don't know much about the science- but all my other guitars stay home- and the Baja goes to all the gigs. Love those pickups- crisp, cutting, tough, detailed.....if words can express such things. :)

People don't talk enough about combinations of pickups, I reckon. As someone who uses one base amp tone and very few pedals, the combinations of pickups and their sensitivity to volume and tonal adjustment is very important. I enjoy lots of '52 style sets, as well as a vintage output P90....but the Broadcaster/ TT combination just does so much for me- biting, barking, snapping....and soothing. :D

IMG_20180808_141413385.jpg

DHart likes this.
  14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Flaneur... I can fully understand your appreciation for the Baja's TT/Broadcaster combo. SO many rave about them. And the TT/Broadcaster set that I just installed in one of my Teles definitely knocks my socks off, too! They measure at about 5.9k and 7.3k DCR.

Would you by any chance be able to measure the DCR of each of those two pickups and let us know the numbers?

I'm trying to get a sense of whether the Broadcaster bridge in the Baja is any different than the Broadcaster bridge pickup that Fender used in the 2012-2013 American Standard Teles.

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

All my gear is packed in the car for tonight's show- so I'll try and do this over the weekend. ;)

My guitar is a 2009 model. Who knows, how consistent Fender were, in the specification and manufacture of their modern Broadcasters and the TTs? All that 'Custom Shop' talk and the decision to put the pickups in guitars at different price points, just confuses the picture further.

DHart likes this.
  16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I posted this in another thread, as well- sorry for the delay in responding. The Broadcaster measures 8.52 and the TT is 5.70

:cool:

DHart likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hey Flaneur... thanks man!

18. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Don't know about the difference but I have a 2013 belly cut, Twisted tele neck and Broadcaster bridge pups. Compared to my 2010 USA Standard Tele the pups sound thin, no guts in them at all, love the Belly Cut so going to swap out the Broadcaster for something more ballsy.

19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised that you say that your Twisted Tele and Broadcaster pickups sound 'thin', as mine do not. I wonder if there is something going on with your wiring?

I have two American Standards, a 2012 with the Twisted Tele & Broadcaster pair that I recently installed:

[​IMG]

and a 2013 with Cavalier Lioness & Cavalier 51/52. (I put the open cover on the Lioness, which is a custom low-wind with 7400 turns, rather than the usual 8400 turns, at 7.3k vs the usual 8.0k)

[​IMG]

Aside from the pickups and colors, the guitars are mostly identical - alder bodies, contoured backs, American Professional necks with rosewood fretboards, same electronics. Bridge saddles are a bit different - bent steel on the Mystic Red and solid block on the Jade Pearl.

And guess which one sounds zippier, richer, and more pleasing to me? Yep... the Cavaliers. Easily! Perhaps that's due, in part, to the Cavaliers being hand-fed (with human imperfection) during winding vs. machine fed (automated uniformity) with the Fenders? There are some other differences in the pickups.

NECK PICKUPS
    Twisted Tele A5 5.9k, 2.2 Henries, 42 AWG formvar
    Lioness Custom Wind A5 7.3k, 43 AWG (7400 turns)

BRIDGE PICKUPS
    Broadcaster 2012 A5 7.3k, 42AWG
    Cavalier 51/52
    A3 7.8k, 42AWG

The 51/52, despite having the 'softer' A3 magnets and higher resistance, is brighter and more sparkly than the Broadcaster.

I do like the Twisted Tele & Broadcaster combo, as they have a nice warmth to the tone. The Broadcaster bridge pickup is, surprisingly, rounder and warmer toned than the 51/52 bridge pickup.

BUT, if I had to choose between them... I'd go with the Cavaliers without hesitation.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.