Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Broadcaster "Blend" Wiring Options

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bazooka47, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bazooka47

bazooka47 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2003
    Hello All:

I am becoming more interested in trying this style wiring in my BC-style "build", but I do not anticipate that I will have much use for the low output "dark" neck position setting.

Is there a way to wire up the 3-way switch to have the "blend" option in the bridge position, the neck pickup with no cap in the middle position, and another option for the neck setting, such as both pickups in series? Has anyone done this before?

If so, are there any diagrams out there?

Thanks.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have used the Blend Circuit on one project in the past, as per the customer's request. I found it to be a very limited circuit and pretty much useless for me. After a couple weeks with it the customer agreed. Standard Tele wiring is much more useful. YMMV.

3. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I used the blend circuit on my guitar and loved it. I modifed it slightly though.

I put a 15k resistor in series with the capacitor to give the effect of the tone control being only halfway down and I jumpered the 15k resistor on the switch which allowed the two pickups to be blended equally.

I Liked it a lot and only modified it to modern wiring for quicker access to the normal two pickup position.

4. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    I have the same problem, not having much use for the "dark" tone, but the way I tackle it is not to change the wiring, because I'm a bit sad like that and like the "vintage accurate" aspects of my Nocaster, but to write a few songs to give to the band that specifically make use of that tone. Just coming at it from a different angle.

Now...why we're on the subject, I had to wire the blend circuit myself as the custom shop supply the Nocaster with a '53 tone circuit and optional 4 way switch. I got the wiring diagram from the Seymour Duncan site, but the one I've found in The Blackguard Book and the definitive A.R. Duchossoir Telecaster history book both wire the jack with the tip to ground and the casing to the tag on the volume pot! The Duncan diagram has the jack casing to ground and tip to volume pot tag, which is what I would have expected.

Does anyone know what's going on here? I did it the Duncan way, but is there any tonal difference or is it just WRONG!

Blackguard Book diagram

Seymour Duncan

5. the guy who invented fire

the guy who invented fire Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2004
    The ATL
    The Broadcaster wiring diagrem on the Duncan site is wrong...IM actually in talks with Scott Miller about it right now because it's not the ony wrong one tey have on there.

If you want to wire up a Broadcaster with a Blend control use the diagram from the Blackguard Book...thats the ticket.

6. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    Okay, thanks buddy. Now I'm going to have to start over, but I'm happy at least to know I'm about to get it right at last.
    Here we go again with the soldering iron...for the 5th time!

7. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    Changing the live wire to the shield of the jack plug just didn't work. The whole thing was buzzing like a jar of wasps until I earthed it with my hand, and I thought I was going to get zapped, so I put it back to the ground on the metalwork.
    The Blackguard book diagram must either be wrong, or wiring in antique amps has changed since. I know nothing about this side of things, but I do know it wasn't working.

I'd be interested to learn what the real answer is.

8. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I used the diagram that came with a Luxe cap that I bough from Glendale.

It's the same as the one form the Blackguard book that's linked to above.

It worked fine. I'd check your wiring.

9. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    The wiring is good and all the switching options behave as they should. I had the jack socket out of the guitar while I was changing the wiring and it buzzes with the ground to the tip but nice & silent the other way around.
    I'm not sure it matters anyway, but I'm still curious.

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am resurrecting this thread out of total frustration and hoping some of you experts can help me. I briefly owned a CS Nocaster RI, but sold it as I couldn't get along with the narrow neck profile. I really liked the ability to gradually blend in the neck pickup to the bridge pickup in the rear position. It's a completely different tone from what you get when both pickups are selected in parallel.

I've seen a number of diagrams that purport to recreate the Broadcaster/Nocaster circuit, including the Duncan diagram and the diagram from the Nacho Banos Blackguard book. As this thread shows there is controversy about which is correct. Unfortunately, Fender does not make the wiring diagram for the Nocaster RI available on its web site. I'm clueless when it comes to wiring diagrams, but the guitar tech who works on my guitars knows his stuff. All I need is an accurate diagram.

I've attached two diagrams below. One is from the Blackguard book, while the other fetched up in a Google search and "appears" to be a Fender document. They look identical to me, but what do I know? I've also provided a link to the Duncan diagram. Can anyone confirm the correct diagram? I'm also wondering about the blend pot. Is there some special brand, variety or preferred pot I need to use to get the gradual blending of the neck pickup into the bridge pickup?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Duncan Broadcaster/Nocaster Blend Circuit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I wired a Tele ( with Nocasters) like that just to keep it "old School" and returned to 3 way in a short time. I just didn't get any purpose out of it all. I even tried a .022 for the dark which helped it not be so muddy with the neck.

You can't beat the simplicity of the plain 'ol 3 way ( or better yet, 4 way). It does the job.

Iago likes this.

12. sdoow

sdoow TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa
    I used the Broadcaster with Blend diagram from Seymour Duncan. Works great for me. So many more available tones than the typical 3 way, vol, tone. You get neck with tone rolled off, neck, bridge, or a blend of bridge with neck. Granted, the tone of the neck pickup through the cap has pretty limited uses, but one can use a smaller value cap for a less muffled sound. I have also found that the position between 2 and 3 on the switch yields a really nice inbetween sound for jazz or fingerpicking.

Set the tone on your amp so you have a good bright bridge pickup tone, then blend in a little neck pickup or roll off the volume a touch to soften it up.

Joe Gore has a great video on YouTube showing the versatility off the Broadcaster wiring.
    http://youtu.be/mETOjlcey_Q

13. Tommy B

Tommy B Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2013
    Lost In Time
    I always convert to 4 way.

I've thought about removing the tone pot and having two volume pots- one for each pickup for ultimate blending of the pups. Then wire the selector switch for series, parallel, and phase reversal.

Some one before me I'm sure thought of this already and there may be a name for this wiring scheme.

14. sdoow

sdoow TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa
    I really like that idea! Series,parallel and phase reversal switch plus two volume pots. Has anyone done this?

15. Maxadur

Maxadur TDPRI Member

Agreed............I really prefer this to standard wiring, which my Nocaster came with. I had to wire the blend circuit myself. I'll never go back.

Gerry

16. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Former Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Ireland
    The middle position on the blend wiring is killer. It's worth it just or that. I just can't seem to get that incredible funky tone with standard wiring. I used the Duncan diagram - it works fine so long as you read it correctly.

17. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Hello! Anyone knows if it's possible to use a DPTP on-on-on instead of the classic 3 way switch ?

18. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You should start a new thread:

19. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Ok I will. Thank you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.