Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Broadcaster black slotted screws?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by MONKEYDOG, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MONKEYDOG

MONKEYDOG TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Guitar Magazine has some eye candy pics of a 1950 Broadcaster right now. I noticed that the slotted pickguard screws look like they were originally black. Or just decades of oxidation? Does anyone know if some of the originals had black screws? (Also, I didn't know that the original fingerboard dots were chocolate brown?!)

Gibson likes this.
  2. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2017
    France
    The screws were chrome or possibly nickel plated. Definitely not black

Kreepy likes this.
  3. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jason Hutchinson and fernandomp like this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    That 6th photo sure shows one of the screws. I can see oxidation but I think they were painted/colored because I definitely see black too.

In the Duchossoir book all the photos he shows of a Broadcaster clearly show chrome/nickel screws that are not black.

5. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    They just look like rusted screws to me. Gorgeous guitar and gorgeous pictures!

6. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2003
  7. d barham

d barham TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    I think what appears black is just the old discolored part of the screw that has lost its plating. I agree, an interesting and beautiful guitar.

8. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Weighs 9.63 pounds!

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Those are old, old screws that were originally chrome plated.

Hell, even the screw under my palm on my '02 CS Esquire is basically black. Imagine something 50 years older than that!

The material used for pickguards, fretboard dots, and side dots could vary slightly in color, aside from the fact that Fender was still settling in to mass producing guitars at this point. They probably tried different things here and there, or just bought what was available sometimes.

I have often thought about using the currently available brown Bakelite for a guard and dots, instead of the usual black.

10. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    What a beautiful guitar!

11. MONKEYDOG

MONKEYDOG TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    I know, right? Getting into LP territory.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  12. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2017
    France
    Even for a les paul that's heavy. I wouldn't buy a les paul that heavy, no matter how good it sounds

13. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2018
    nashville
    looks like the screws got hit with a little rust eater, formerly known as 'navel jelly' it turns rust black and is awsome stuff, i use it on cars and equipment. ive also used it on severely rusted amp transformers. it stops rust in its tracks.just my longshot theory but thats what it looks like

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.