Broadcaster 0402 Sold at Auction Today

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by chomps, Mar 15, 2019.

1. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

24 track likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting. Heritage has developed instruments and music memorabilia as a sales category. I wouldn't take Heritage Auction hammer prices as market prices. It's a different pool of buyers at that kind of auction. And, heavens to Betsy, the only things original with this guitar seem to be the wood and the case.

Total was $16,875 which includes the buyer's premium. That's an additional "25% on the first $300,000," so the actual sale price was somewhere around $12,650.

chomps and 24 track like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

too bad it was refinished but now its an 80 yr old player that sold for large coins just for prestige , this always fascinates me , but if it was in its former glory it would have sold for almost 10 times that amount .....go figure

thanks for posting

I get the same feeling as when I followed the Les Paul's 300 guitar auction and a real Les Paul Played/moded les paul went for the same price as a new les paul,it saddened me

schmee, RodeoTex and chomps like this.
  4. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

I stand corrected on the price which I got wrong from memory. Heritage sells vintage instruments in separate auctions from memorabilia guitars (signed by famous artists) and most serious collectors are aware of their vintage auctions if they are a buying frame of mind. They sold a refin Broadcaster a few years back for something like $22k. The difference is probably because this one had less original parts or maybe the market is softer now. I’m no expert on prices, just sharing info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i hope i live long enough to see vintage guitars skyrocket in price or tank down to 200 a pop. either way its going to be interesting. although i hope its the former !
    a poodle case is worth some dough, but 4k? i have seen prices like that. i wonder what they actually change hands for right now? my guess would be a bit less than 4k i actually need one!

6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

9.8 pounds they can keep that baby

t guitar floyd and Steve 78 like this.
  7. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Most likely the prices will drop. There are so many vintage guitars in the hands of 70 year old or older collectors. What's going to happen to their guitars when they die?

8. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Adam....did you consider that any Tele collector may wish for the instrument to go with them?.........

I would not attempt to further suggest where the instrument will end up?

Derek

9. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Some might take their intruments in their grave like pharaons, but even if the world today is dominated by ego, I don't think that egotism is that crazy and I bet most of these will spread on the market. As vintage lovers, we all know these beloved instruments will survive us and that's part of the beauty of it ;)

Flyboy likes this.
  10. twang junkie

twang junkie Tele-Meister

Broadcasters seem to have reached a premium lately, I have seen a couple of clean examples at the $150k mark whereas 52 Teles seem to sit just under the $50k, I haven't seen a no caster for a while so I can't comment on them but the gap seems to be widening between the Broadcaster and Tele, but condition, as always, seems a key factor

11. Adam Wolfaardt

They better dig big graves if that's the case. Some people have thousands of vintage guitars. Lots and lots have hundreds

12. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Not only big graves, but they had better be deep too! 6ft under isn't that much...:twisted:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    Kreepy and Adam Wolfaardt like this.
  13. archetype

Oh, please don't misunderstand. I wasn't trying to correct you. Just making sure folks understood the true price was just North of $12K, since that puts some perspective around the sale price which includes a 25% buyers premium that's tacked on the the hammer price.

14. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Aren't those 12th fret dots supposed to farther apart?

15. Adam Wolfaardt

Nope. They moved further from 53

16. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Yeah, right.

17. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

No problem. I’m glad you got the numbers right. But while the hammer price was around $12k, the true price (with the premium) was $16,875. That’s what someone paid to own the guitar. Plus the shipping cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. archetype

Right you are. The total was the true price.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

This is a great point. My 32 year old son has zero interest in my vintage stuff. He's also not remotely interested in a '62 Impala. Once my generation moves on there will still be collectors I'm sure but the interest is bound to be diminished. Sell your old stuff now? I kinda still like my stuff.

20. Adam Wolfaardt

Young people like vintage guitars too. Joe bonamassa is doing a good job inspiring future collectors so there is hope. For the value to hold there would have to be enough new young collectors to take all those guitars up as the become available and at current prices. Will there be enough of them with enough money at hand? Who knows? I'm thinking not but I could be wrong

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.