Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

British Folk Rock

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, May 24, 2015.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

2. marivor58

marivor58 TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2012
    uk
    The sublime Bert Jansch

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin w Sandy Denny

5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Can't forget Figgy Duff !

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England

7. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Nic Jones! Not really Brit-Folk Rock, but check out that guitar playing. This is from Game,Set,Match, but the whole Penguin Eggs record is amazing.

and Anne Briggs, a major influence on Zeppelin's version of Brit Folk-Rock.

The best book I've read on the subject is Electric Eden by Rob Young. A great read if you're into this kind of stuff.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I've always loved this music. Fairport and Steeleye Span especially. I had a Caravan album once upon a time, it might be in basement yet. I don't really include them with those above but the example here isn't bad.

I saw Fairport in 1970 at the Philadelphia Folk Festival it was really fun, everyone was holding hands dancing around in big circle, hippies all.

9. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had the pleasure of seeing Wishbone Ash in Upstate NY, in 1972.

They were the middle act, in what was probably, THE finest live concert I had ever seen:

Humble Pie
    Wishbone Ash
    Love

10. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have to say that I don't really think that Wishbone Ash fit into this genre as they were more rock than folk, although some of their lyrics were in that sort of mould. But they were a great band nonetheless. I loved their dual guitar work - especially Argus.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm working on that and his version of "The first time ever....." at the moment. A whole new world of pain in technical terms, but if it doesn't hurt it can't be doing you any good.:(

I'm a long-time fan of Maddy Prior and John Renbourn. I saw her live a few years ago, she still had a magic voice for that genre.

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Okay. More Rock-Folk than Folk-Rock.

I thought this was earlier Traffic, but they could go in that direction.

Don't forget that the whole '60s San Fransisco scene was all about electrified Folk Rock.

14. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    "Don't forget that the whole '60s San Fransisco scene was all about electrified Folk Rock."

That was pretty much the starting point for early Fairport Convention as well if I remember correctly.

15. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Aug 19, 2013
    East islip ny
    Sandy Denny she was awesome she sang on led zepp battle of ever more

16. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2011
    London
    One of my all time favourite albums is The Albion Band: Rise Up Like the Sun

17. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Big fan of most of the artists noted previously: Fairport, Steeleye, Pentangle, Strawbs, ISB, Woods, Albion Band, Bert J etc. Saw Pentangle in 1970 - fantastic. Also saw Steeleye Span, Strawbs (1971) and later 2010?. Glad to see someone mention JSD Band - really like their music. Nice guys, drank a few beers with them in the early 70s. Have seen Fairport over the years including once with Sandy Denny. Lots of good stuff here. Most of my favorites. Five Hand Reel, Dando Shaft (Kevin Dempsey and Martin Jenkins) are also good.

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Tyrannosaurus Rex (w John Peel)

19. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I find this interesting. Going through a serious Pogues listening phase after hearing Young Dubliners. I've enjoyed Ian Andersons solo stuff as well as with Tull. Please keep it coming. New stuff to check out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.