Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Bringing a Backup?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by MilwMark, Mar 11, 2018.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I prefer to bring two guitars, but I use both on the gig depending on how I feel. So not really a back up, per say, just two guitars. I also play TI strings and the last almost a year for me, and while I almost never break strings, it is something that's always in the back of my head: is tonight the night your 7 month old strings break one?

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    I only ever reluctantly change strings, and in over forty years of playing have broken less than twenty strings. I usually take two guitars, the second tuned to open G or a 12 string, depending on the set list. If needed I could finish the gig on the second one. On my board there is always a pre-amp pedal, Joyo American Sound, AC Tone, or Award-session JD10 so I can run direct to the PA. I have lent a guitar to the other guitarist, and pre-amp pedals to other bands, but have never needed one myself.
    simonelli03 likes this.

3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    As I get older 1 guitar for bar gigs. Especially if its a 3 hour ordeal with multiple sets. The drunk crowd doesn't care if I break a string and the band continues without me.
    I'd rather just worry about 1 guitar and my Deluxe Reverb and make 1 trip to and from car.
    Jakedog likes this.

4. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I suppose it depends a bit on the band’s lineup. I’ve played mostly in 3-piece bands for 35 years and always bring 2 guitars and have used the backup enough times to not ever consider doing without. In a larger ensemble, probably less of a concern.

5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    yes. don't make someone wait for you to restring.

6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    New strings every gig, even if a gig is the next day. New strings because I break strings. Practicing normally at home a couple hours a day I break a string every two weeks. I hit strings hard and as an example I wear out Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14 picks very quickly, at least one every week or two. By at least three weeks they get thrown out.

I normally gig Strats with floating trem, and so a broken string puts the guitar out of commission. I always bring a backup with new strings. For outdoor events in the summer I bring two backups.

For amps I currently gig an Egnater Tweaker 15W tube head into a load box and main mix, my backup is a Joyo American Sound pedal.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.