Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bringing a Backup?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by MilwMark, Mar 11, 2018.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I prefer to bring two guitars, but I use both on the gig depending on how I feel. So not really a back up, per say, just two guitars. I also play TI strings and the last almost a year for me, and while I almost never break strings, it is something that's always in the back of my head: is tonight the night your 7 month old strings break one?

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I only ever reluctantly change strings, and in over forty years of playing have broken less than twenty strings. I usually take two guitars, the second tuned to open G or a 12 string, depending on the set list. If needed I could finish the gig on the second one. On my board there is always a pre-amp pedal, Joyo American Sound, AC Tone, or Award-session JD10 so I can run direct to the PA. I have lent a guitar to the other guitarist, and pre-amp pedals to other bands, but have never needed one myself.

simonelli03 likes this.

3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    As I get older 1 guitar for bar gigs. Especially if its a 3 hour ordeal with multiple sets. The drunk crowd doesn't care if I break a string and the band continues without me.
    I'd rather just worry about 1 guitar and my Deluxe Reverb and make 1 trip to and from car.

aerhed and Jakedog like this.

4. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I suppose it depends a bit on the band’s lineup. I’ve played mostly in 3-piece bands for 35 years and always bring 2 guitars and have used the backup enough times to not ever consider doing without. In a larger ensemble, probably less of a concern.

5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    yes. don't make someone wait for you to restring.

6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    New strings every gig, even if a gig is the next day. New strings because I break strings. Practicing normally at home a couple hours a day I break a string every two weeks. I hit strings hard and as an example I wear out Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14 picks very quickly, at least one every week or two. By at least three weeks they get thrown out.

I normally gig Strats with floating trem, and so a broken string puts the guitar out of commission. I always bring a backup with new strings. For outdoor events in the summer I bring two backups.

For amps I currently gig an Egnater Tweaker 15W tube head into a load box and main mix, my backup is a Joyo American Sound pedal.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018

7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I always bring a second giitar, and use them both. Usually the Strat or Tele, and a semi-hollow. We do a bunch of 50's and 60s tunes where a semi-hollow is historically correct. So I pick the guitar that will be most appropriate for a particular set.

8. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For our usual dive bar/VFW gigs I bring a second guitar but leave it in my car. I have never needed it, and don't remember ever breaking a string on stage. I used to have a humbucker equipped guitar and a Tele or Strat on stage and switch off based on the song, but I realized that no one in the place but me really noticed the difference so I just use one all night long now. My backup amp is a DI box that I could run through the PA. I have used that once, when my amp crapped out halfway through the last set.

For larger or otherwise higher class gigs I do bring a second amp with me, and keep my backup guitar on stage, which I may swap out mid-gig if I feel like it.

9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    -absolutely!!

10. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    The only time I remember NOT bringing a backup, my LP got knocked over and broke off the headstock. Probably wouldn't have happened if I had a Tele at the time.

I do a fair bit of slide in open tunings, so now I need at least two guitars.

11. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2012
    Sheffield
    Usually, I bring two guitars - my tele in standard, my Revelation a whole step down. The majority of our songs are written in drop D so depending on the set depends on whether or not I tune down the tele or just play the Revelation

12. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I always request one in my rider...

13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    About fifteen years ago I used to bring FIVE guitars and force myself to use them! Not because I had to, but because I could. ;0) 52RI Blackguard, 50's Classic in White Blond, Pink Paisley RI, SB AmStd Tele, and an AmStd SB Strat. I was thrilled to have the luxury as just a few years earlier I had NONE for some time after navigating a divorce.

These days I typically bring two, but only use one. And most recently, I've only brought one guitar (Alligator Strat) as I never, ever break strings anymore. It was nerve wracking at first as I figured I was cursing myself by not bringing the backup, but I'm into the "carry as little as humanly possible" stage of life.

MilwMark likes this.

14. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Prosperity, Sc
    I hardly ever bring a backup but most of the time I’m playing in front of people I’m playing bass through a solid state amp. If the amp would go down I have a DI box in my kit.

My second regular gig is in an acoustic duo. We usually bring a third instrument between us, either a uke or banjo to swap out.

Other than the big acts I hardly ever see an acoustic player bring two guitars. Coming from that world I guess I never got in the habit.

MilwMark likes this.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I built this guitar with a double sided neck -- six strings on both sides along with a second pickup on the other side as well -- so if I have a string break I just flip it over on the strap and finish the song :cool: No searching for that second guitar on the dark stage, no tripping over anything. Just flip play on.

If I were really gigging I'd be tempted to buy a Steinberger type of guitar that might even pack in a modified trinket tray of the case. I like the idea of that EH 44 amp pedal too!

Double sided neck backup guitar.jpg

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have two 4-pickup guitars in case I break a string or some nonsense. I am looking for an EH-44 only because I have no long term history with a powered cab rig yet. Mics have always been what we need backups for. An SM57 lives in my gig bag. In the past however, in the trailer were 2pairs of sticks, bass strings, guitar strings, old snare head, bass drum pedal and pa power amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.