Bridge saddles too far from neck to intonate properly?!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mcarroll, Apr 30, 2019.

1. mcarroll

mcarroll TDPRI Member

Long time lurker. First time poster. First time builder.

The neck is a Warmoth neck from a partscaster I bought in the 90's. The body is Fender MIM I bought on Craigslist last year. The bridge I'm not sure about. I can't find my receipt but I think it could be a Gotoh unit.

The saddle intonation screws cannot extend far enough to make the scale length 25.5".

I only remember one way to attach the bridge to the body, so I can't see how I could have mounted it closer to the neck.

Is the bridge...too long? :eek:

It seems like a Mickey Mouse fix to just go to a hardware store to get longer screws for the saddles. But that's the only fix I can think of. Ugh.

Help please! I don't have another telecaster here and I'm too embarrassed to go to Guitar Center and start measuring guitars. But I will if I have to! :mad:

So if possible could somebody look at the photos and let me know where things are off?

Pics below with a ruler for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You may want a vintage style bridge which is shorter. Measure from the center of the 12th fret to the break over point of the saddles. It should be 12.75". One time I put a 24.75 neck on a tele body and used metic RC car screws which were longer to get them to go forward. Your pic is showing a 4" long bridge and that is what the Gotoh specs out at.

You can see the specs in the links below.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...tar_Bridges/Gotoh_Modern_Bridge_for_Tele.html

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...aditional_3-Saddle_Bridge_for_Telecaster.html

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    G.Rotten likes this.
  3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Normally only the high E is 25.5" long, the other strings are longer due to increased diameters, with a stair step between D and G bringing the saddles closer to the neck a bit.

The simplest thing is to get longer screws for the saddles and move them closer to the neck. Once you have enough length for the high E saddle to be at scale length, then the rest of the screws don't need to be as long.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Was the bridge mounted too far south? Just judging by the notch in the pick guard. Shouldn't it fit directly up against it?

6. Jim603

Jim603 TDPRI Member

What's wrong with using longer screws? No part of the guitar is original to anything anyway. It's the quickest, easiest and most elegant way to solve the problem and you don't have to modify anything, nothing mickey mouse about that. I don't underrstand why you're opposed to it.

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

So what?
    Does the guitar intonate at the 12th fret?
    If yes,play it and forget about measuring neck scales.

8. Nick Fanis

9. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

What Buzzgrowl said. You are using the wrong bridge. You can see by his diagram that the mounting holes are a bit less than 1/2" from the back lip of the bridge. Yours look to be about 1-1/8".

And the OP is not sure that it is a Gotoh bridge. I bet that it isn't.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Are you sure the body is a MIM Fender? The Fender people are pretty good at drilling and routing things in the right places, but other manufacturers sometimes do their own thing.

Either way, longer screws will solve your problem.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Did you have to drill new holes to mount that bridge?
    It does appear to be too far back given the alignment with the guard.
    Longer screws would allow you to set the intonation but the pickup ends up too far from the neck and too close to the saddles, resulting in different brighter tone.

When we think we have this part and think we have that part and the parts don't fit together the way we think they should, one or more of the parts is not what we think it is!

12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I think your scale length is off.
    That first fret if it's truly 1 3/8ths (1.375) then it's either 24.5 scale or 24.75. The 25.5 scale First fret is roughly 1.43
    The 12th fret didn't look right to me either in terms of placement for 25.5

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  13. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

The screw of the scratch plate should be right on top of the 19th fret (and it isn't). The gap between the bridge and the scratch plate is weird too. There may be issue related to the scale length of the neck. Like DrASATele said.

AAT65 likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure he Warmoth neck isn't a conversion neck? (24.75 scale) Measure nut to 12th fret, should be 12.38

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I think that you all are confusing the issue. The OP seems like they would have known if they had bought a conversion neck since they used it on a partscaster previously. You can see clearly how the bridge that they are using differs from the StewMac bridge by about 1/2". Provided the OP can get the strings through the ferrules and through the saddles it seems like the StewMac bridge, or one to the same specs, would be the solution. The pickguard may also be incorrectly sized, but that isn't relevant to the OP's problem.

16. Nick Fanis

It is definitely a Gotoh bridge.

And it is a direct retrofit of the vintage three saddle Tele bridge,there is no such thing as "holes for the string drilled way back'' since the Gotoh bridge is longer but when placed on the guitar the longer part extends towards the bottom end of the guitar.

The op still needs to tell us if the guitar intonates or not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  17. Nick Fanis

Like I said above it does but it extends towards the BOTTOM of the guitar,so it doesn't matter.

Countless of Tele players have used this bridge for decades as a direct retrofit of the vintage three saddle one with no problems.

18. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Your photos with measurements are very complete, and it is obvious that you won't achieve intonation without a change. Almost all your measurements look like what one would expect .... except one.

In inspecting your guitar photos it seems that the "mystery" is likely the position of your neck in the neck pocket. It is not set in deeply enough into the body, at least relative to my tele's where the bottom surface of the neck pocket lines up a little past the 16th fret. In your case the bottom edge of the neck pocket is set to be lined up more than halfway to the 17th fret - i.e., it is not as deeply into the body by maybe 3/8 inch or thereabouts.

So, my guess is that this is the source of your problem. Is the neck set all the way in, or did you perhaps install it with the pickguard in place? If so, this may be preventing the neck from getting all the way into the pocket and the fix would be redrilling the neck when properly positioned and maybe trimming your pickguard at the end of the pocket. Alternatively, perhaps the pocket as delivered just didn't extend deeply enough into the body?

LutherBurger, fidopunk, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  19. Nick Fanis

+1000

Is the neck a 22 fret one?
    If so the 22 fret should be on the overhang and this overhang should be closer to the neck pickup.

TeleTucson and PeterUK like this.
  20. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree with you. The neck looks to be a 22-fret neck. I have a 22-fret Warmoth neck and the 22nd fret is close to the neck pick up, so my guess is the neck pocket is not what is should be.

Here’s mine:

Attached Files:

TeleTucson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.