Bridge Reglue?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by jack76, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jack76

jack76 TDPRI Member

I have a Regal R-235 that I love the sound of but ever since I got It The action has always seemed high and it looks like the bridge has started to lift up. I have a little experience with woodworking, glueing, etc. but would I be able to remove the bridge and Reglue it myself? Any help would be appreciated.
    IMG_1003.JPG IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Usually the cool kids heat the area with an iron (well, not usually an off-the-shelf iron) on the bridge and then work their way around with thin metal spatulas until they get it off. Clean up the two surfaces, put it back nicely with special clamps that go inside the soundhole and out around the top to hold pressure, let it sit for a day, and you're good.

If you think that sounds doable, give it a shot. If not, it's not a super expensive job to have done.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Beat me to it. Frank Ford's site is a treasure trove of information about acoustic guitars and their care and feeding. Excellent information there and Frank has an entertaining way of presenting it. You can waste hours on his site. I know I have.

5. jack76

jack76 TDPRI Member

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

So what I said earlier, plus removing the decorative bolt covers and bolts :D

7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It is very important to clean ALL the glue from the wood surfaces without dis-forming the mating surfaces. Bear in mind that the sound board and bridge both have a good 30 ft radius sanded into them and that the bridge will not re-bond properly if the radius is not maintained.

8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Good advice above on how to clean and repair.

Just FYI, the tiny bit of extra string height caused by that barely lifted bridge is probably not the source of much ‘high action’. It’s good to fix it but you’ll likely not see much difference in playability. You can read other stuff on fixing high action on the guitar repair websites.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.