Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bridge PUP Cover?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by The Ballzz, Nov 17, 2017.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hey Folks,
    Does anyone make a cover for Telecaster bridge pickups? Ideally in black plastic? The deal is that I have a Triple Tele with three "No-Caster" bridge pickups and I really like the tone with the neck pickup raised up a bit. The problem is that when I get a little frisky/aggressive, I somehow knock the high E string under the bobbin edge of the pickup and while it has not yet caused any damage, I can see it eventually affecting the longevity of the pickup windings. Not to mention, it's a pain in the butt! I've searched high and low for covers, with no luck!
    Thanks Folks,
    Gene

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I've never seen one that wasn't installed on an active pickup.

3. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I wonder how hard it would be to make one or a few, out of plastic?
    Just Curious?
    Gene

4. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Anyone here have any experience with vacuum forming plastic? I've already determined that making a mold should be quite easy, as well as making a cheap, easy vacuum forming box. I'm just not sure which of the many materials would be best for the purpose of a pickup cover?
    Thanks Folks,
    Gene

telemnemonics likes this.

5. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It seems like it would be much easier to get one 3D printed than to make a mold.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Firebird or Mini Humbucker covers ? Dogear P-90 covers ? This is a 3 P-up Tele w 3 Tele Bridge P-ups ? Can you do a photo ?

7. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    No experience with such, but definitely not adverse to the idea. I also don't know anyone who does such stuff or has a 3D printer.

errzbkmp9lvx95es1loj.jpg

Thanks For The Suggestions,
    Gene

8. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    There are online services (and probably local) that can print it for you.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    That's a cool guitar. I like it!

Teleterr likes this.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Low density poly would do just fine.

11. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Though that's not an actual pic of mine, but it's an identical stock photo. I really like it, except for the tiny vintage style frets and the string under the pup bobbin issue. Mine came with one "odd" '58 pup that is RW/RP and is now in the middle position. With the volume between 8 & 9, it does some fairly authentic Strat tones and then when cranked, it's like a Strat on steroids! I'm either going to swap the neck out or more likely, re-fret with taller stainless fret wire. Once these two issues get sorted, it will get played a bunch!
    Thanks Folks,
    Gene

12. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    A lot of local libraries have 3D printers available to use, and most towns of any size have maker spaces where you can go do this. Or you could put an ad on your local craigslist, and I bet you'll find someone who will do it for an affordable price.

Be very careful with your measurements, though. There is not much space between the flatwork and the mounting hole. In fact, now that I think of it, you'd probably be better off finding something plastic that's just thick enough to wrap around the coil and sit under the flat work. Think of a really thick piece of tape.

13. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I realize that I will likely need to "open up" the pickup holes in the pick guard a tad, but I have tools and am not afraid to use 'em! :D The reason I'm trying to fashion an actual cover is to eliminate that little lip of the bobbin that the string can get caught in/under. Even if it ends up being an open cover, like this:

lollar_royalt-e1405322476194.jpg

While not the proper size and I would prefer them in black and likely plastic, you can get the idea. If I'm going to put one on the neck pup, I might as well do the middle pup also. And I also I have two of these guitars, though one will probably get sold soon.
    Thanks Again Folks,
    Gene

14. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Lower pickups, that's what I did, tried a few other ways first. S. Duncan and some others have done molds for certain artists, though.

15. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I was really tempted on that sale. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't.

Looks like a great guitar. My first MIM had vintage frets. I didn't mind them.

16. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, I hear ya, but I get such a smokin' neck pup sound when it's up higher. Not to mention, the neck/middle position is much more usable than an any Strat I've had/played and that all gets lost when I drop the pup! Oh, and did I mention that in bridge only, it's ALL Tele! I've yet to try the bridge & middle in series, but am likely gonna try a super switch to do so. I'm thinkin' that with the following setup I may easily cover Les Paul, Strat and Tele territory, all on one guitar, sans wiggle stick, of course!

#1) Bridge only.
    #2) Bridge/Middle in parallel
    #3) Bridge/Middle in series
    #4) Middle/Neck in parallel
    #5) Neck Only
    While the middle only is a great sound, it's certainly not something that I can't live without! And I don't want to complicate things with push/pull, toggle or S1 style switches. No load tone pot, of course!:cool:

Just Sayin'
    Gene

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands, GB
    Apologies. What I'd written was an absolute load of old tosh!
    (Completely mis-read the OP)

18. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]

I understand the problem :) I just think the best solution here is way simpler than the approach you're taking. Building up the cover over the coil until it's flush with the edge of the bobbin will eliminate the problem, plus it has the advantage of being relatively quick and easy. Heck, I bet you could do it with 20 wraps of electrical tape (or less) and be done in a few minutes.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    What about wrapping more string w wax around it ? That should stop the problem and look the same more or less.

El Tele Lobo and metale like this.

20. Stickist

Stickist TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Finland
    If I understood you correctly I'd say the easiest method is usually the best one. Take heed from Steve Vai's method. Simple, effective and very easily taken down if/when needed.

https://i.imgur.com/KuhVYNM.jpg?1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.