Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Bridge plate interferes with picking

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MrBoogie, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MrBoogie

MrBoogie TDPRI Member

Just in the process of moving from a strat to a tele. I love the telecaster, particularly the tone. I found that I never used the strat bridge pickup and seldom the middle while the quack settings produced an interesting tone but again seldom used. For me the two pickups and three settings on the tele are much more usable.

The only problem I'm having with the new tele (Squier CVC) is the odd bridge plate design which deflects my pick when I upstroke the first string or downstroke the 6th making it virtually impossible to pick close to the bridge. In one of Scott Groves videos, he talks about that problem with the telecaster design. I was wondering if this is a problem for others and if there is any solution other than just adjusting the position of your picking hand.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Friend of Leo's

No problem here, but it's like riding a bike as I've been doing it for a
    very long time now.

3. TeleAnon

TeleAnon Tele-Meister

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I did have issues with this when I first played a Tele years ago.

A simple fix is to take off the bridge plate and grind or file down the sides a bit, at least as far as the saddles.

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

That's just the design of the old ashtray bridge with 3 brass saddles. You'll learn to adjust in a short while. But if problems persist, you may wanna get hold of a bridge like Danny Gatton used, which has a small section of the treble-side lip cut off.

Thanks,

7. MrBoogie

MrBoogie TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.