Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

bridge pickup for a pinecaster tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by naneek, Feb 12, 2018.

1. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    PNW
    Hey everybody, it's been a while since I've posted. after a few years of being unable to play, I'm finally able to pick up my guitars again.

I'm looking for a bridge pickup for a homemade tele pinecaster I built in 2012. My price range is under $100. I've been hesitating on a harmonic design 50's broadcaster/54 special for years, with no luck finding one used, so I guess it's time to look at some cheaper options. feel free to recommend anything though, especially if it has good availability on the used market.

the body is a piece of a giant pine beam from a cabin that was at least a hundred years old, so the wood itself must be quite old. I'm looking for something with a lot of clarity that will really let you hear the natural tone of the wood.

I have a used seymour duncan vintage blues 59 humbucker in the neck position, and it sounds great. very full, detailed, warm, and responsive to dynamics. it has a classic smooth humbucker vibe, with a shimmery clarity on the high end. it's able to match some of the warm clean tones and darker jazzy tones you can get from an actual tele neck pickup.
    I haven't tested this pickup, but looking it up on seymour duncans website, its dcr is likely rated around 7.6k. this pickup is well over ten years old, so it may be a little different than current spec.

I'm looking for a nice bridge pickup to pair with the seymour duncan. I can go single coil, noiseless single, or humbucker. the bridge is routed and currently set up for a humbucker, but I can either switch to a classic bridge or simply add a metal plate to mount a single coil tele style with the current bridge.

the most important thing is to really be able to hear the natural resonance and tone of the guitar body. Something with a bold tele sound would be nice, but I don't want something with too much of its own color and eq if that makes sense.

overall, I'm looking for a humbucker or single coil that has a rich, accurate sound that will let the natural tone of the wood shine through. It would be nice to have something transparent enough that I can hear the natural tonal characteristics of my tube amps.

What do you guys think about lace sensors? the strat plus and tele plus were always billed as being extremely high fidelity, so it might be a good option. And I'm not looking for a heavily colored sound, so a more modern tone wouldn't bother me.

How do the current lace sensors compare to the original 'fender lace sensor' pickups tone wise?

are there any stock fender pickups that you would recommend?

I could pick up a Rio Grande Genuine Texas humbucker for 40 bucks right now, which is a pretty good deal compared to the 160 retail price. it's an f-spaced humbucker with 4 leads for coil tapping. I can't find much info on these, looks like theyre wound to about 9k. does anyone have experience with these? what do you guys think of it as a bridge pickup?

I currently have a gfs mean 90 in the bridge. It sounds pretty thin, and in comparison to the 59 blues neck pickup, it's weak in volume and has very little sustain.

thanks, and feel free to make any recommendations, I'd love to know what bridge pickups you guys are enjoying these days.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

2. Mincer

Mincer TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    If you are considering a humbucker, I'd go for a Seth Lover, or even a whole set. They are not potted, so they are slightly microphonic, in a really good way. They are really great pickups for 'hearing the sound of the wood'. As far as a single coil size, it depends if you want it to sound like a classic Tele or not.

naneek likes this.

3. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    PNW
    hey mincer, thanks for the great recommendation, I'll check those out. I really like seymour duncan build quality and materials, and sounds like it would be a really nice pair with the sd 59 in the neck. It definitely makes sense that microphonic qualities would bring the resonance of the body into the amplified tone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Mincer and wdlfireman like this.

4. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    PNW
    for a classic tele sound, I was looking at the harmonic design 50's broadcaster and the seymour duncan antiquity lap steel pickup. unfortunately, I can't find recordings of either, and I can't find either used. If I go with single coils, I'm definitely interested in a classic tele sound as long as it's still true to the guitar.

I would prefer something like the sd lap steel that isn't in the classic tele bridge form factor. a classic tele pickup would require routing, and I'm not sure I want to make major changes to the build. If I go with a single coil, I'll probably get a metal plate to replicate the tonal qualities of the tele bridge, and mount the pickup straight instead of slanted to fit in the humbucker route.

5. Mincer

Mincer TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    You could go with something like a Twang Banger, which is the Strat-sized Tele-sounding pickup. Or you can get the Custom Shop to build you a traditional-sounding Tele pickup in whatever form factor you want.

naneek likes this.

6. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    PNW

7. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...get a used ri
    get a Rio Grande

naneek likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.