Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bridge pickup farther from bridge

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guite Lectrique, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Guite Lectrique

Guite Lectrique TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Quebec City
    I just received a custom pine LP jr body. I asked for the body to fit a 24.75" neck I have. The builder drilled the bridge holes and pickup route about 1/2" too close to the neck. I could easily move the bridge farther since it's a chopped tele bridge instead of a standard wraparound.

This would however place the pickup (p90 soap bar) 1/2" farther from the bridge than it usually is. About 2" from the treble saddle. Would that make a big difference? I play mainly distorted rhythm guitar.

Of course I will contact the seller but I want to know what my options are.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I would guess it would be a hair warmer sounding, as pickups tend to get brighter as they approach the bridge.

Captain Nutslot likes this.

3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always wanted to try having the back pick up where you are describing. You can likely compensate some by playing with the controls but overall I'd bet you'll have a more versatile guitar tonewise.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm another that doesn't see it as a negative. The slightly softer edge to the tone could be an advantage, and if you use distortion, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

I_build_my_own likes this.

5. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

You'll be OK, get on with it.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Isn't the important thing having the bridge in the correct place for the scale, so it intonates correctly?

Everything has to follow this Most Important Consideration? Pickups will work all over the string length, but the node it sits at will give a different character. You may or may not like it but imagine a guitar that can NEVER be in tune as the bridge is placed shorter than the scale needs

twr1 and LooseJack like this.

7. twr1

twr1 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    sonoma county, California
    I call that a real mistake. Have it replaced.

8. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    OP explains that's how the problem started; he has to move the bridge location to compensate, but that leaves the pickup route at a different spot.

Well, you really only have two options; return it for a refund or exchange, or try to make it work. Incidentally, this is the fundamental difference between me and my wife; if it were her, she'd demand a refund or exchange, I'd try to work with what I got. My advice? If a pickguard is going on it, just chisel out a bit more space to move the pickup closer to the bridge. If no pickguard, I'd say it's a toss-up. My gut feeling is that it would probably work fine and you might even get an output boost, but if the tone was too "dark" then either put a capacitor in line after the pickup to cut some lows, or put a capacitor across the leads to change the resonant peak. See here:
    http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I thought he said he 'could' move the bridge and was asking for options

To my mind putting a bridge where it will never intonate can't be considered an option so I was trying to communicate that

Putting any number of pickups in any number of locations is just a question of taste

I didn't know if the poster knew wrong bridge location for scale would be BAD

10. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    It will sound different. Moving the bridge pickup a small distance makes much more change in sound than moving the neck pickup. If you play the guitar and find that the bridge pickup doesn't dig in and get snarly enough when you pick hard close to the bridge you could rout the pickup cutout and move it closer.

twr1 and Piggy Stu like this.

11. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    Texarkana, AR
    Around 57 Gibson moved their bridge pickups farther from the bridge on their juniors, mostly because the bridge posts were cracking into the pickup cavity from the wood being too thin there.

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

A happy accident!

Captain Nutslot likes this.

13. Guite Lectrique

Dec 9, 2014
    Quebec City
    The seller will send me another one. Plus I get to keep the one I have.

They make mostly 25.5" Scale bodies. Since I asked for a 24.74" they just moved the whole thing .75" towards the neck.

They're bodies are awesome. You should check them out. The company is Tonebomb and they are in Calgary. They sell on eBay.

14. Guite Lectrique

Dec 9, 2014
    Quebec City
    Just to report back...

I built the guitar as is with the bridge pickup closer the neck. Compared to my Gibson LP Special with the same pickup at the bridge the difference is minimal, although it's not an apple to apple comparison. The Gibson is of course made of mahogany and has tone controls, while the new one is made of pine and has only a volume knob. Both volume pots are 500k.

I'd say it has a tad more bass, but it still sounds like a bridge pickup. I *think* it sounds a little richer when played clean though.

I put a contour knob to allow me to roll off some bass. It's effective, but I don't use it that much.

Here it is in it's early stage:

IMG_5572.JPG

Piggy Stu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.