Bridge humbucker pairs well with Jazzmaster neck

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TheMindful, May 21, 2019.

1. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Hey guys. I'm beginning a design process for a custom Jazzmaster style build. I do already own a '63 Jazzmaster, and as my tech and I discovered, the bridge pickup is some unmarked P-90, which is incredible clean and dirty. I love how it pairs with the neck.

So for this custom I'm taking that dynamic and running with it, albeit seeking out a humbucker to pair with jazz neck, instead of P90. Looking for that elusive articulate, clear PAF style bucker when clean that also gets nice midrange burn when put through drive and distortion. Will be most often playing this guitar through a Marshall Randy Rhoads JMP run slightly dirty, but my other amps are a '65 DRRI and AC30 heritage w/ alnico blues. Point being, clean sounds are integral. If a midway point exists, I want to know my options...

I've already looked at Seymour Duncan JB, Custom, Custom Custom, Distortion as well as the DiMarzio PAF Pro, Super Distortion, others I can't recall from said brands. Not aware of boutique options admittedly. FWIW, I'm leaning away from getting coil split as a solution; as I'm a long time single coil user, none of the examples I've heard sound like they would work for me. Obviously the output needs to match the output on a more traditional Jazzmaster neck style pickup output, although I'm not sure how wide a difference would be acceptable/useable. Would love some thoughts on this. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!

double_a likes this.
  2. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

I would be interested to hear everyone’s opinion on this too. I have a Curtis Novak Jazzmaster in a Tele. I have never quite found the perfect match for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Humbucker with single coil in the neck all day all around the world... No one seems to rock the Jazzmaster neck with a bridge humbucker. Seems like a fantastic combo if done properly!

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have considered doing the JM neck and humbucker bridge setup too.

You're going to hear about a lot of premium boutique pickups, but I often swap those out for some of the ebay import pickups, all unbranded so you'll have to get a couple to try several (but look at the construction picture details). Look in the under $20/set pickups. The Donliss ones are liked by a lot of people. If you hate muddy pickups then go this path. If you need that 'warm dark tone' then go with the conventional humbucker brands that will fill this thread.

I have a Tele Esquire with the bridge pickup out of one of these sets (I pulled out the SD Invader the previous owner 'upgraded to') that is 16kohm series, and 8kohm singles. I lower the pickup and raise the screw poles so I get good tone separation, can fake a 'neck' pickup with the neck side and the tone knob, Strat Quack, Tele/P90 single for twang, and a hot humbucker. You can do this with whatever humbucker you get.

The other angle you could go, especially since you are building, is look up the Robbie Robertson Strat where he moved the middle pickup next to the bridge pickup and then a push/pull series option with the 5-way -- stock Strat pickups give a 12kohm humbucker this way -- kind of a functional HS Strat out of a stock SSS. I've been tempted to do that with a Tele at the bridge and a Strat or Jaguar up against it for the series humbucker.

If you want to narrow things down, bolt a neck to a board and stick down some pickups you want to try and that way you'll have what you want when you dig into the actual body with the router. That's how Leo Fender did it.

TheMindful likes this.
  5. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

TheMindful likes this.
  6. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I had Suhr Thornbuckers in a SG I used to own. Had pretty nice cleans but also dirtied up well.

TheMindful likes this.
  7. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Nice thanks for your guys' input. I'm thinking of just shooting for a really nice PAF style bridge that handles distortion/drive well but also sounds good clean. Seems like it would sound great paired with a Jazzmaster neck.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Check out the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary.
    Sweet tones! Great with pedals too.

TheMindful likes this.
  9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Fro this application I agree a PAF type would be far preferable to an overwound humbucker like the JB or the Super Distortion, or even the Custom.

I have one Les Paul with a P90 at the neck and a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary bridge and they pair well. 36th is crisp but has plenty of mids so it sings for lead with some gain.

If you want something a little hotter but still bright and punchy, you might consider the Duncan Distortion NECK pickup - it was originally designed as a bridge pickup and used to be called the Seymourizer. Strong enough to scream yet bright enough to match well with a singlecoil. And it cleans up nicely when you roll back the volume.

A big advantage of major brands like Duncan & DiMarzio is that they're easy to find used, and if you decide one isn't quite right for you it's easy to resell.

lineboat and TheMindful like this.
  10. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Either a 59 or Jazz bridge should blend well with that neck pickup.

eclecticsynergy and TheMindful like this.
  11. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I have a Frailin noiseless P90 (in a Jazzmaster cover), in the bridge of my Jazzmaster. Great pickup, with a sound somewhere between a PAF and a true p90. And it’s him cancelling, which helps when playing with some gain.

Otherwise, I agree with the above - the DiMarzio 36th anniversary is a great humbucker.

TheMindful likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.