Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Brent Mason Bebob blues

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by sambrooker, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sambrooker

sambrooker TDPRI Member

Hello ,
    I was wondering if anyone could let me know what sort of arpeggios Brent mason is playing in this solo ? I understand that he is outlining the progression but what is his thinking when he's playing ? Is he superimposing arpeggios or using subs for other chords or is it something else ? I would appreciate it if someone can explain how to use some of these applications in your own playing . To my understanding, Brent didn't know much theory but still plays great bebop.
    The link to the video is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSLxY3Gsbw

Thanks !

2. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

Here is a tab of that I did a few years ago. If you have any questions about a specific section let me know.
    Pick It Apart

3. sambrooker

sambrooker TDPRI Member

thats great thanks for that valvey!
    I just realised that the link i put above was incorrect haha it was from the same gig though. The solo i actually meant was this one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQrF6noAOQ
    If anyone has anything they can say about whats going on that would be great
    cheers

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Brent Mason is HEAVILY into George Benson ... and he loves jazz. That's obvious.

That tune's not a blues and I can't tell from the brevity of the clip what tune it is. It sounds a little like Another You or it could be an original. I can't actually hear the changes that well - ? No matter. Great clip!

There's no particular 'special' thing he's doing or employing. It's how he plays. He may not know a ton of advanced academic music theory(?) but he knows what to play over a relatively standard set of chord changes - jazz/rock/country or whatever.
    A combo of scales, arpeggios, licks and lines, a lot of chromaticism. A lot of ii - V lines into each temporary key center. When he plays the blues and country 'licks' he's doing most of them in the key of the tune - F major. The most special thing about that solo (his playing in general) is his concept of time and his confidence. He knows exactly what he wants to do and where he wants to go.

6. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

That's 'Swang', written by Mark O'Connor . The progression they're soloing over is basically:

(2 beats/chord)

F Dm Gm C7 Am Dm Gm C7
    F Dm Gm C7 Am Dm Gm C7

bridge:
    Gm C7 A7 Dm G7 G7 C7 C7
    Gm C7 A7 Dm D7 G7 C7 C7

The soloing and comping over this framework are pretty loose,

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Ah! Quasi Rhythm changes.
    I need to listen with headphones. I couldn't tell when they went to the bridge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 ... please excusw any typos.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.