Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Breedlove club!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by gitold, Jun 17, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I just checked through this thread to see if I’d posted a video of me playing my Breedlove Atlas series dreadnought (AD25/SMe). Nope, I haven’t.

And truthfully, I didn’t think I had. I have been hesitant to post any videos of me playing in any thread on TDPRI. There are several reasons for this, chief amongst them, perhaps, is that there is just nothing special about my playing, and the prospect of posting on a forum where so many are so talented, with quite a few pro players...well, that’s just a daunting prospect, quite frankly.

But I’m trying to get over myself about that. It’s fun for me, and audiences I play for seem to really enjoy what I do. And I really enjoy videos showcasing guitar brands I have or am interested in; it’s helpful to me. So in that spirit, I’m going to post one of mine.

This video was taken of me playing for the residents of a local retirement community on February 5, 2016. One of the residents there had actually attended John Denver’s last public performance/concert, October 5, 1997, here in Corpus Christi, TX, so she requested “Rocky Mountain High.”

So, again, I’m playing my Atlas series Breedlove dread. Both my mic (Shure SM58) and my guitar are plugged into my Crate TX50 “Limo” amp. (My amp now for acoustic/electric gigs is my Fishman Loudbox Mini, using a Sennheiser e835 vocal mic, which gives me a warmer tone and yet more clarity.) I hope you enjoy it, or at least find it a helpful demonstration of the guitar’s capabilities, if not of my own capabilities.

2. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was in the local GC for a little while today, just long enough to play a couple of guitars. As I sat down in the acoustic guitar room to play a Cordoba classical (C5-CE), I spotted the headstock of another guitar hanging on the wall. It had a stylized script “B” logo on the headstock, which told me that it was a pre-2014 Breedlove acoustic. (Since 2014, the logo on the headstock of Breedlove guitars is the name spelled out.)

I picked it up, and it was a Breedlove Passport D200/SMP, an MiK acoustic dreadnought with a solid Sitka spruce top, laminate stained maple back & sides, no cutaway. It was priced at $169, which was tempting. (New it sold for $299.) I have no business buying another guitar right now, but this was well worth the price. It played so well, like most every other Breedlove I’ve played over the years. A well balanced tone, very nice for fingerstyle or pick.

I didn't take a pic of it, but here is one from the GC website...
    [​IMG]

3. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Inland Northwest
    Been enjoying my American Series C25/SME:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    LGOberean likes this.

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Sweet! Love seeing it, would love to hear it! :D

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Unfortunately, Breedlove isn't making T-shirts available anymore. (I would have thought that "two old hippies" would be all over the T-shirt idea! :twisted:)

But I've got an uber-talented, artistic wife, and so she MADE me one! :D

Breedlove T-shirt, 1.jpg

Uncle Bob likes this.

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    In another thread on another part/sub-forum of TDPRI, I "stumbled upon" this...

To be honest, I hadn't heard of Pro Audio Star before reading this, but I thought it would be appropriate to mention it here. As I checked it out, it appears that the discounted prices are on used or open box models. Still, might be worth a look to some else besides Aaron, so I thought I'd post a link here...

7. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL

the one i picked up is brand new. $359 instead of $799 Pursuit Cocobolo.

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Oh, okay, cool! :cool: When I brought up the PAS page for Breedloves, there were 74 entries, so I didn't check every one of them. One of those I clicked on was an open box deal, the others were marked used. But again, I didn't check them all.

I'm guessing yours was a blow out price because that particular model is discontinued. The page of Breedlove's site for Pursuit Exotic models lists guitars with back & side woods of Koa, Ziricote, Myrtlewood, Australian Blackwood and striped ebony, with tops of Sitka or Engelmann spruce (as well as an all Koa model), but no Sitka Spruce + Cocobolo model. You got a great deal! :D

I stumbled onto my first Breedlove that way ten years ago this August, a discontinued AD25/SM, Atlas series dreadnought deep body with cutaway, Sitka spruce top and mahogany back & sides. That model was discontinued at the time, like I said. Of course, the whole Atlas series (Crafted in Korea) is now defunct.

Aaron1061 likes this.

9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    That's what I'm thinking too. Pushing them out since they're discontinued! I'm a little weary of the LR baggs Element in it though. There aren't any EQ controls on board. But for the price, I can't complain much.

10. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Since you posted Breedlove's "Archived Instrument" page for this, here is the Pro Audio Star link for this guitar. Looks like they still have it available, and at that same great price.

This would be tempting if I didn't already have an older Breedlove Concert Passport Plus C250/SBE, with a solid Sitka spruce top and Bubinga back & sides. I've talked about both of my Breedloves here plenty of times, and they're both pictured above (reply #165).

12. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Well, after gigging with it, i have come to the conclusion that it sounds and plays WAY better than it should. the LR Baggs element is the best sounding pickup ive heard in a guitar. Nice and chimey.

13. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    I just purchased this on a trade in at one of my local music stores. Premier rosewood dreadnought. My first dreadnought....first solid rosewood....first really nice acoustic.:)This is an amazing instrument. All I can say is.....WOW! Requisite pics....;)
    20180709_173010_HDR.jpg 20180709_173023.jpg 20180709_173750_HDR.jpg 20180707_174343.jpg

navigate40 and LGOberean like this.

14. I picked up a 2014 Breedlove Stage Concert last week and I instantly bonded with this guitar. Sitka spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, Breedlove Bridge Truss (aka Bridge Doctor) and made in Korea.

I do not think the guitar was played and this was confirmed after a few hours of playing as it really opened up. Great fingerpicking guitar.

LGOberean likes this.

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Congrats! Is this your first Breedlove? If it looks and plays like a new guitar, sounds like you score a good deal. You didn't say what you paid for it, but new those were priced $1,332 MSRP or $999 MAP. Here's the archived page for the '14 and '15 Stage Concert model: https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/14-stage-concert. Although there are pics on that archived page, pics of yours would be great.

Archtop Bill likes this.

16. Yes, this is my first Breedlove.

I had a couple recent instances to play in public, but no amps were permitted. I bought one of the D’Angelico Excel EXL-1’s when GC was blowing them out last November for $599. I was able to swap that plus an old mfx pedal I didn’t use for almost even dollars: $535. I am very happy to have exactly what I wanted (sitka spruce, Indian rosewood, fairly narrow neck) for the price.

LGOberean likes this.

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    You swapped your EXL-1 for the Breedlove? I'm curious as to why the swap. Did you not really bond with the D'Angelico? Or had it just served its purpose?

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I didn't mean to let this post go by without commenting on it. I did "Like" it, and in fairness I did reply to joebloggs13 about it when he posted this in a thread in Acoustic Heaven, but I also meant to comment here.

It's a beauty, and sounds beautiful too, from what I can gather from YT videos. From the videos and the "archived instrument" page for it on the Breedlove website, I'd say it's a 2014 model, or possibly a little later. I bought my Atlas series new in 2008, so it's at least that old. It was discontinued, so I don't know how long that guitar had been hanging around in my local GC.

Breedlove's dreadnoughts are big ol' guitars. As I've said before (in this thread, when it comes to Breedloves, there probably isn't anything that I haven't said before :oops:), to me it's more like the love child of a dread and a jumbo. Their dread has a deep body, is wider across the lower bout than other dreads, and more rounded, like a jumbo. The waist is also thicker. All of this makes for a big sound, lots of bass response and thump (plugged or unplugged), and yet it's articulate as well. I'm betting yours is the same, Joe.

joebloggs13 likes this.

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    Hi LGO.... Yes it's a beauty alright. I brought it in to local music store and A/B'ed it against a Martin HD28 and a Gibson J45. The Breedlove fell in between the two according to my ears. The treble was jangly and the bass was there in all its glory. The mids rounded out the tone nicely. It's a fantastic guitar and on par with both of the above models in the comparison. Here it is in anither pic.
    20180725_133803.jpg

LGOberean likes this.

20. Overall the fit, finish and tone of the DA was very good, especially for $599. The biggest issue with the DA was the neck. It was wide and chuncky. So much that it made switching back and forth with my Tele was disorienting. I will admit my fretting hand would ache if I played the DA exclusively for a few days. It also had no acoustic volume and as I needed something acoustic swapping the DA got me what I wanted and needed.

The Breedlove’s neck is very close to my Tele’s.

LGOberean likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.